Trudi's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, twss, laugh-out-loud, 2012-reads, non-fiction, blogged-books
Read from August 04 to 07, 2012

Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess) is seriously effed up, and that doesn't always equate with being seriously bleeping funny but in her case, this book will S-L-A-Y you. I laughed so hard in parts I shed tears (and a little pee I think). Just sayin'. For anyone out there with some incontinence issues already.

Her frantic, stream-of-consciousness delivery (though punctuated with gems of insane hilarity) can get exhausting. Sometimes you just want to scream, "Jenny, will you just shut the *&%@# up already!" -- imagine being stuck in an elevator with a coked up Robin Williams who just also happens to be sipping on a Red Bull laced with vodka. As horrible as that sounds, Jenny Lawson makes it work. Despite her frantic crazy energy, she will make you laugh your ass off, teach you how to curse like a sailor (that woman loves to let the expletives fly), force you to appreciate all of life's absurdities, face tragedy with (enough) dignity, and be grateful for every single blessing that you have.

She also taught me that the most interesting person in the room is probably the one hiding under the table (or in the bathroom) hyperventilating. Only stupid people aren't locked and loaded for the zombie apocalypse (well d'uh, that one I knew already). That chupacabras are REAL. That people who tell you that acupuncture is painless are "complete fucking liars." And most important of all, Texas may be big and beautiful and have awesome BBQ, but it's also where all the bitey, stinging things live.
Today the exterminator came out to spray for scorpions again, and he left a note saying that he found an enormous snakeskin next to our house. Then I screamed, "EVERYTHING IN THE COUNTRY WANTS TO KILL YOU," and Victor told me to go lie down. But then I went to look at the snakeskin, and I was all, "This is a used paper towel." Then Victor said, "Dude. That's totally a snakeskin that's been shed. Look at the diamond scale pattern," and I was all, "That's a textured diamond weave to absorb more wetness. You can tell it's a paper towel because snakeskins aren't square. Or perforated." And I spread it out on the ground and then he was all, "Huh. That is a fucking paper towel. I think we need a new exterminator." We're probably not going to survive the year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 11: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn This sounds like a funny, good read. Putting it on my TR list! :)

Trudi I really did laugh Kathryn. A LOT. :o)

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Well, if Trudi recommends it, I'm going to add it to my list. Bearing in mind continence issues, of course.

Trudi Carol wrote: "Well, if Trudi recommends it, I'm going to add it to my list. Bearing in mind continence issues, of course."

You've been so warned ;)

message 7: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 I like the sound of this woman.

Trudi Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "I like the sound of this woman."

She's certifiable (and exhausting). I figure her husband is a saint. I'd have killed her by now ;)

message 5: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I only read the iBooks sample of this book and was laughing so hard that I couldn't quite see through my tears. I have since obtained the book and am excited about finishing it!

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Thank you for your link! She is effin hysterical.

From her blog:

Astronomy classes ruined my sense of romance

December 26, 2012

in Random crap

Friend: I love this quote… “Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know that they are always there.”

me: Actually, many of the stars we currently see are already burnt-out and dead, but we just don’t know it yet because their light is still traveling toward us.

Friend: Fine. We’ll change it. ”Good friends are like stars…

me: …They’re very shiny but a lot of them might be dead.”

Friend: And once again, you ruin the romance with logic.

me: Well some might not be dead yet. Although technically if they’re not already dead they’re most likely currently in flames.

Friend: *sigh*

me: How about this?: ”Most of your friends are dead, but the ones who aren’t dead are on fire. It’s complicated to explain, but it’s nice to watch from a distance. Much like friendship.”

Friend: Yeah. That’s almost exactly the same sentiment.

me: It’s a gift.

Trudi Hehe. She is exhausting, but she speaks the truth. I love her way of looking at the world.

Trudi Beth wrote: "I only read the iBooks sample of this book and was laughing so hard that I couldn't quite see through my tears. I have since obtained the book and am excited about finishing it!"

Break out the Depends...I'm warning you, you're gonna need them!

Méchant Loup HAHHAA.. i love your reviews.. love.. third line in and im buying this.