529_Gary's Reviews > The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary

The Lincolns by Candace Fleming

May 17, 2012

bookshelves: rll-529-information-books

This book has won the Horn Book Award. This book would be great for a middle school student to use for a project on the Lincolns. As I was reading this book, I was amazed and learned a lot of new things that I didn't know before. One of Lincoln's favorite books as a child, was Aesop's Fables. It was also interesting to learn that Lincoln was raised in a household that despised slavery. Lincoln had always seen slavery as a horrible thing. I also didn't know that there were four other individuals that were hanged because of there involvement with John Wilkes Booth and the assassination of President Lincoln.

This book is written in a scrap-book format. This is a great book for primary sources. There are copies of some letters and photographs. The book starts off with a look at a young Lincoln and goes all the way thru to the death of his wife, Mary in 1882.

Since this book tells us about Lincoln's life in a scrap-book format, I think that it will interest a reluctant reader into picking this book up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincolns.

message 1: by 529_Quincy (new)

529_Quincy Owens Well, Gary was honest Abe really so “honest?” I have always been fascinated by that slogan since it inspired so many salesmen to use variants of it to attract customers. I want to know who was hanged with Booth as well. Why are most assassins know by their first, middle, and last name where as everyone else is on a two name basis? Sorry for all the questions, guess I’m going to have to go pick up this book.

message 2: by A_Olga (new)

A_Olga My text set is on Chicago so I will add this book for my for my challenged group of students. It is always fun when we can add to our knowledge about what we are trying to teach our students. Another book you might want to add to your Lincoln collection is Abraham Lincoln Comes Home by, Robert Burleigh. It is about Lincoln's funeral train and how a nation was able to bid farewell to a great man.