Grace's Reviews > The Demon's Covenant

The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

May 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, for-review, paranormal, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

Summary

The Demon's Covenant is second in a series, the first book being The Demon's Lexicon. It is fairly decent as a stand alone as well since the story for this book doesn't depend on the previous book having been read, though some might find it useful.

That being said, book two, the Demon's Covenant is about magicians, demons, humans and “The Market People” vying to make their way in the world. There are two magicians circles that are vying for power, using any and all that get in their path as collateral damage, including the main characters Jamie, Mae, Alan, and Nick.

The story is very slow paced, and the battle at the end is relatively anticlimactic. The majority of this book, really over 95% of it, is a set up for the battle at the end, which lasts all of two pages, and the end is a set up for what is obviously going to be the next book. It has a good hook at the end, though, and is a good lead up to get people to buy the next book if they can get through the full of this one.

Characters

There is Mae and Jamie. Mae is the older sister to Jamie, a young magician. Then there are brothers Nick and Alan, where as Nick is a demon in human skin, and Alan is his older brother. These four are tangled up with their own teenage problems as well as being between two magicians circles that are starting to feud. The members of these circles are much like a huge cast of minor characters of varying degrees, and not really worth noting.

I found it rather odd and irritating that the antagonist, Gerald, was a very minor character in the entire story. He was just this guy that was scary, but only in the sense that he existed and could somehow do stuff that you didn't even know what it could do, so it wasn't even scary.

Over all, the characters of this series are not bad, but I didn't really find them that memorable. After reading many young adult books, they seem pretty much the same. We have the pretty girl that doesn't think she's pretty, the fantastic looking demon she has a crush on, and the secondary characters. The only original I've come across so far was Jamie, the brother, who is a gay, teenage magician. Then again, even that isn't original after Mortal Instruments introduced Magnus.

Thoughts

I suppose my thoughts are written out throughout, but this was a solid, middle of the road book. Not good, not bad. I'm sure a lot of people will love it, and and equal amount of people will hate it. The story line is slow, and the characters are bland, but other than that it has a lot of potential for a good tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Covenant.