Chris's Reviews > Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness

Crazy by Pete Earley

May 17, 2012

Read from May 30 to June 03, 2012

I cannot begin to describe the tragic true and never-ending tale told by this author. The systemic cruelty that we inflict upon the weakest members of our society is an outrage. This book was published in 2006 and I would like to believe that perhaps there has been progress since then, but I would hazard a guess that it has been minimal to non-existent.

What to do? There has got to be some way to reform the system so that chronically mentally ill people get the treatment they need to live productive lives. Not to do so harms everyone in our society. It is a tremendous loss of talent and human capacity. As Earley so eloquently shares, no one is immune from the possibility of serious mental illness impacting their lives.

I am eager to read some of his other books -- his writing was thorough and detailed without being complex even though many of the concepts he had to explain were complex. He told the story of this horrific reality in a way that brought true compassion and empathy for everyone from correctional officers, to vengeful victims, to family members, to schizophrenic murderers.

But seriously, what are we going to do about this?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy.

05/30/2012 page 39
10.0% "my heart is already breaking..."
06/01/2012 page 129
34.0% "haunting and horrifying..."
06/02/2012 page 287
75.0% "haunting and horrifying..."

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela This sounds very interesting, Chris.

message 2: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Bowman I didn't know about this book until I read your review. This sounds like something I'd like to read. Thanks for putting me onto it.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim This sounds very interesting!