Frank Callaghan's Reviews > Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now - As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It

Londoners by Craig Taylor

M 50x66
May 17, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I am about half way through this book. I admit to hearing it first on Radoi 4 where it was 'Book of the week'. I enjoyed listening to it before dropping off to sleep. Now that I am reading it I am less interested. It started off well. I enjoyed the short clips and the variety it offered, but as I progress through it, the style is unvaried in how each story is presented. It becomes a bit stale and the tales tend to merge and lack any real bite. I will of course persevere, but although it's an easy read, each story being so short, so you can pick it up and put it down at will, it is a little disappointing.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Londoners.

Brian Goldstein overall its depressing the author could have met more inspiring people, I know I would have, i'm a displaced Londoner.

Frank Callaghan Yes I agree. A few strange selections in there

Brian Goldstein more than a few, thanks Frank, not the London I know even if havent been there in 30yrs,i'm sure some things never change, let you know next yr!

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Chalmers i'm reading this too. up till now i've been enthralled, tho have just come across the first bit i've found tedious - the bus route supervisers in their control room. till then i'd found it very moreish!

Frank Callaghan Chris wrote: "i'm reading this too. up till now i've been enthralled, tho have just come across the first bit i've found tedious - the bus route supervisers in their control room. till then i'd found it very mor..."
Hi Chris. I enjoyed parts of it, but it's quite a while since I read it now so cannot recall much detail. Not everything appeals to every person and i hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

Brian Goldstein As a Londoner of 20yrs, 1960 -'80 (born in the country, grew up in Shetland & the Burbs)I lived north, west and south & travelled thruout as a student, worker & misc. I also have spent much time on foot there as it is very conducive to that especially during my poorest times. On saying that I must say I met more interesting people, especially in the 60s than any I found in that depressing book!