Isabell's Reviews > Der Nachtzirkus

Der Nachtzirkus by Erin Morgenstern

May 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 21st-century, american-lit, audiobook, cover-black, ed-german, fantasy, low-fantasy, onleihe-er, unabridged, listened, read-2012
Read from May 18 to 24, 2012 , read count: 1

This was one of those books that I read (listened to) because many people seemed to like it. So I used the chance to listen to the German audiobook when it became available at the library.

While it wasn't that bad, it didn't really surprise me in a pleasant way, either.

The Night Circus essentially tells the story of two people, Celia and Marco. Both have been chosen and trained to participate in a "game" the arena for this game is to be the Night Circus.

The Good
I really liked how there were different timelines/narrative stories (Marco and Celia/Twins born in the circus and a visitor) throughout the book that eventually came together in a single place and time. I also liked the tone of the book in general, the writing style and imaginary.

And I really have to mention that the narrator of the German audiobook (Matthias Brandt) did a very good job on this. It was the first time I heard one of his narrations, but I'll certainly not hesitate to listen to another one of one comes my way.

And the Bad
But somehow that couldn't make up for the fact that I didn't get a real connection the the caracters. They all seemed sort of flat with the noteable exception of the twins. Celia and Marco are said to be in love, but you don't feel that. You are told that this is a fact, that's all. In the end I really wouldn't have minded another outcome for the "loving couple" (and usually I really like a happily ever after, so this is saying something). Also, the "game" that everybody made a big deal of, didn't ever give me this feeling of urgency. Again, you are told that the outcome of the last game of this sort was that one of the players died, and near the end of the book you learn that this is supposed to be the outcome of this game as well, but I didn't feel this.

Another aspect was that this was supposed to be set around 1900. But again, the story couldn't convey to me that this was the case (I only caught on to that because every so often a date was mentioned, so after 14 hours of reading I remembered that).

And the Conclusion
So all in all I liked the book for the writing in general, the language and tone (and the audiobook narrator of my specific edition), but it lacked in the department of making me feel part of the story, making me feel with the characters instead of just hearing about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Der Nachtzirkus.

05/20/2012 page 2