Maggie's Reviews > I'll Tell You Mine

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: ya
Recommended to Maggie by: Laura Morrigan
Read from June 01 to 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Not my usual style of reading material but I was willing to give it a go based on the favourable review I had read.

Story goes that Kate Elliott, young 15 yr old Goth, is sent to boarding school after an "incident" involving her mother, with whom Kate is having ongoing issues. Super cool stay at home surfer dad cares for the younger sib. Kate initially has no friends at the school she has attended for years as a day girl, but manages to make friends with 'bad-girl' country-lass Maddy, and ends up in a relationship with Maddy's brother Lachlan. Kate also develops a friendship with Louise, a shy eager to please boarder.

Kate has two older Goth friends, Annie and Nate, neither of whom have any connection with the school. Initially Kate is attracted to Nate but he rejects her advances. The association with these characters gives Kate the chance to rebel.

Whilst I appreciate the idea of the story (Goth outsider wants to be accepted for who she is) the story had too many holes in it for me to really engage with. For example, Kate's whole reason behind the switch to Goth seems to be based on how good the clothes suited her; she makes friends with the boarders easily but hasnt made any friends at the school in the previous years; Nate's role other than an early love interest??

I felt the author could have expanded the characters a little more; they appeared to be almost stereotypes and none of them, including Kate, were fleshed out enough. I liked the inclusion of a few ideas which could have been developed further - the hint of violence from an older school boy who wanted sex and appeared not to be taking no for an answer; the grief Maddy and Lachlan felt regarding their mother's death and their father's slide into alcohol.

All in all this book needed work to be anything other than a B grade YA novel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Tell You Mine.