John's Reviews > The Martians

The Martians by Kim Stanley Robinson

May 17, 12

I own a copy

I thoroughly enjoyed Robinson's Mars trilogy - it stands alongside some of the best epic SF IMHO - so when I heard there was a book of short stories dealing with the same universe, I got my hands on it as soon as I could, hoping it would answer some lingering questions left unanswered at the conclusion of 'Blue Mars'. So did it? Well, maybe for a couple questions - though I didn't necessarily like the answers that seemed to be presented. And I can't help but wonder whether Robinson's attitude or viewpoint had changed noticeably since his completion of the trilogy and the writing of a few of these stories.

The stories for me were a little uneven. Having said that, the stories I enjoyed, I really enjoyed. And maybe part of my lack of enjoyment with some of the others is my indifference to mountain climbing (there's a lot of mountain climbing in these stories, litteral and detailed designed to serve as metaphor no doubt).

Robinson also works in some stories and poems that show a peek behind the curtain while he's working on the Mars trilogy - these are fun to read and as evokative in miniature as the Mars books themselves.

All in all, if you enjoyed the Mars trilogy, you'll probably like at least some portion of "The Martians" if not in fact the whole - just be prepared to encounter something of a different Mars than the one that the curtain closes on in 'Blue Mars'.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martians.