Sarah's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

May 17, 12

bookshelves: existential-life-crisis, travel-narrative
Read in March, 2012

He certainly was grumpy, which I didn´t quite expect. I know, I know, he put it in the title. But I didn´t expect him to be such a jerk. He found something to criticize in just about everyone he met and I got a little tired of it. Still, the book was really interesting. Or at least I remember it being very interesting, but now, six weeks after I put it down, I can´t remember what struck me as I was reading. I remember having discussions about certain points in the book. But all I can remember now is the grumpiness.

Oh, but that´s right. There are a few benefits to the kindle. Here are a few passages that I highlighted that probably summed up what I wanted to take away:

"The richer the society, the more difficult it becomes to do worthwhile things without an immediate payoff."

"Social scientists estimate that about 70 percent of our happiness stems from our relationships, both quantity and quality, with friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors."

"´There is no such thing as personal happiness,´he told me. ´happiness is one hundred percent relational.´"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.