Sirenprincess's Reviews > Fated

Fated by Alyson Noel

May 17, 12

it was ok
Read in May, 2012

I was very disappointed in this book. The concept of the book sounded so interesting that I just couldn't wait to start it. Unfortunately, the book blurb was pretty much the only part of the book that was good. This book starts off extremely slow. It does not have much of a hook to draw you in at all. I trudged on because this book was supposed to get very interesting, right? Wrong. It stayed very slow through a significant part of the book. In addition to this, this book is horribly written. It's written in the present tense, a new trend with young adult novels. Unfortunately, when writers try to follow this trend and do it poorly, it makes the book extremely difficult to read. That's the case with this book. The wrong tense is frequently used and awkward constructions are frequent. It was so bad I found myself repeatedly stopping and examining a sentence over and over again to try to figure out what the author might have intended for the sentence to mean. It really pulled me out of the book. The narration in general was not good. I felt distant from the characters and plot. I read this book on an airplane, and it is only because I was trapped with nothing else to do that I was even able to make myself finish this book, and even then with nothing else to do, I found myself sitting it aside and looking out into the blackness wishing the book would just go away. It was a great idea, so it gets a star for that, but the book really isn't very good.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.