Christine Stevens's Reviews > Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. by Sam Wasson

6200627
May 23, 12

Read from May 17 to 23, 2012

I took this review from another reader but it's spot on. I totally enjoyed reading this book!

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. looks at everything from the history of fashion, fashion in film, Capote’s writing of the book, Audrey Hepburn’s film career, and how Givenchy came to epitomize style and class all wrapped up in a little black dress. Wasson explores all of the subtle and not so subtle forces that came together to even make this film possible. There is enough name-dropping in this book to make your head spin, from Marilyn Monroe to Chanel; from Edith head to Givenchy, and everyone in between.

Wasson delivers a powerful profile of the 1950s social culture leading up to Breakfast at Tiffany's and its effect on how the image of the women shifted in the 1960s. We see how women are portrayed on the screen, perceived by society and how censorship plays a significant role in both fashion and film. At the end of the book, Wasson gives his reader a list of End Credits, A Note on the Notes and Notes leaving no question as to the sources for all of the history, hearsay and opinions cited in the book.

If you are interested in fashion, film and cultural history, or just love the movie, Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. will absolutely thrill you. Wasson interweaves the stories of anyone who even remotely effected the film in such a masterful way that the reader feels as though they are a part of the inner circle. He also manages to place it all out there, as a historian would, for his audience to decide on the interactions, reactions and conclusions touched on in the book. So break out your little black dress, dust off your tux and settle in with this look at a film classic that changed everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M..

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christine Stevens Thoroughly enjoyed reading this quick read about the "players" involved in the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I loved this movie, love Audrey Hepburn, love Blake Edwards, love Henry Mancini...anyway, if you too love any of these get this book! I learned a couple tidbits that I didn't know!!!