Ed Fincham's Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

M_50x66
May 17, 12

This book made laugh - out load - repeatedly. If the adult reader was in any way able to hold themselves together, George’s Marvelous medicine would surely have any KS1 class in stitches also.

The language is perfect; full of onomatopoeic words and phrases, alliterative phrases frequent use of rhyme to build pace, all mixed up with humorous descriptions of household goods, and grandma’s nuggets of wisdom ‘Hens don’t do any laying after they’ve been on fire !’

A characteristically dark Dahl plotline - boy mixes medicine that kills grandma - is truly brought to life with superb children’s story telling. Of course there is the caveat of this story unwittingly encouraging the mixing of dangerous and deadly potions - and I certainly winced at some of the ingredients going in - which may cause unholy harm to chickens or elderly relatives. However this can be easily addressed either in class or to individual readers, stressing the difference between story fantasy and reality.

In a sense this story may be useful as an introduction to scientific investigation; Dahl address the book to ‘doctors everywhere’ and in a sense George’s marvelous medicine is a perfect introduction to the joys and dangers of scientific enquiry. What happens if I add this ? Do I need to record what I do ? How do I test what happens ? Although in the later example animal testing probably isn’t the answer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.