Nick's Reviews > Raylan

Raylan by Elmore Leonard

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: audio-version, mysteries, popular-fiction
Read from May 17 to 20, 2012

This loosely connected set of stories featuring Harlan County native son, US Marshall Raylan Givens is a blast to listen to in the car. While not an exact impersonation of Tim Olyphant, I bought the narrator's voice, which is pretty essentially, since I'm such a die-hard fan of JUSTIFIED. I admit to some cognitive dissonance between this "novel" and the TV scripts -- The coal-mining story here features a family named Crowe, headed by a man with a black paramour. Season 2 had the divine Margot Martindale as the matriarch of the pot-growing clan. Both had two bad sons. If I had to choose, I think the TV rendition was much better, though Leonard's narrative voice makes the rapaciousness of the coal companies more palpable. Ditto with the organ-harvesting subplot.

This is not el-primo Leonard, but rather a commercial riff on a successful franchise he enabled with the creation of the original characters. Of course, Leonard calling it in is better than most writers at their best, so I'm not complaining.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raylan.