Erin Latimer's Reviews > The Magic

The Magic by Rhonda Byrne

Jul 13, 12

did not like it
Read from May 17 to July 13, 2012

So far this book is a painful slog through a torturous marsh of tangled words. If I wasn't already annoyed that the book is basically rehashing all the same messages from "The Secret" but replacing the "law of attraction" with "being thankful" , then I would still be tearing out my hair from the repetitiveness of it all. Not only that, but the author throws out ridiculous claims about studies that were done without any proof, and tells you to "rub your magic rock" without telling me how it works exactly. So much for her claims of mixing magic and science. She might as well just tell us to all stand on our heads and recite the alphabet backwards. Then money will fall from the sky and you'll never be sad again. Trying to take notes for the book club I'm in, but I keep having this incredibly powerful urge to stab the pencil into my eyeball. Especially when I came to the part about sprinkling magical frocking pixie dust on everyone. Sorry Rhonda, it's just not happening.
27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic.

message 1: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin Latimer Good luck, my friend. Good luck.

message 2: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Allison Repetition is the mother of skill.

#GoodThing

message 3: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Thanks for the review! Good to know.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim It's entire premise is about being grateful for the good things in life...apparently you found absolutely nothing good about this book - you completely missed the point

Vishnu Vardhan Absolutely agree! One of the most excruciating reads ever! I just wanted to slam the book on someone's face. :(

message 6: by Jacquelinn (new) - added it

Jacquelinn Kai I too have noticed a lot of repetition in her books. Repetition is a fine line. We need it in other to get the point at times... But too much can be really annoying for the people who got it the first time. Especially, if you have very thin material and have stretched it out with tons of comments from other people who are saying the same thing. I find that listening to her books as I am with HERO makes it more inspirational. Hearing all those different voices makes it more like a pep talk. But I have to admit at times that is even getting boring. I love her accent, style, voice overs and the music is very inspiring. Bottom line. I think the success of her books alone - regardless of repetition - is proof in and of its self that the secret (attraction, love, gratitude) works.

message 7: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Howard It is repetition because we continue to fall back to old habits/thinking. It is necessary to continually remind ourselves to be grateful.
Positive attracts positive.