Marsha's Reviews > Warrior Princesses

Warrior Princesses by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

May 18, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, literature-fiction, supernatural, romance, humor, series-entry, action-adventure
Read from May 16 to 18, 2012, read count: 1

While there are historical women in this anthology, some are fictional creations. But their situations resonate powerfully for all of that. Forced through circumstance, prophecy or ill luck to take up arms, this anthology illuminates the various paths that fighting women take. Not all the paths end well—live by the sword, etc.—but the women all strive mightily to accomplish their goals.

There will be stories that appeal to some readers more than others; no anthology by a mixed bag of writers will win unanimous converts. But all the stories pack a wallop, filled with tension, range and depth of feeling and the occasional bit of humor.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior Princesses.

05/17/2012 page 52
15.0% "Once I was as sane as any man and more respected than most. A member of the tribe called Iceni, I also belonged to the intellectual class, the druids, who were revered by all the tribes of Britain. [M]en stepped aside for me on the forest paths and women looked at me admiringly out of the corners of their eyes. Even Boudicca did so, in spite of the fact that she was married to the king of the Iceni."
05/18/2012 page 351
100.0% "He stirred the waters and showed a sort of apartment...where two children, a boy and a girl...met, the boy taking the girl's books, she smiling lovingly. The scenes shifted as they grew older, married, had children and filled each other's years until a great catastrophe swept the land...and the two people to be killed...when their home collapsed on them. "There. You can have that if you like. Happily ever after.""