Cyrene's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

F 50x66
May 17, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quotes Cyrene Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.”

“Mind your P's and Q's.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“What course am I to take?"

"Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The world was fair, the mountains tall
In Elder Days before the fall...”

“You cannot pass!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

“Fly you fools”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf, or over snow- an Elf!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Farewell! I go to find the Sun!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Fire, fear, foes! Awake!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“That is the purpose for which you are called hither. Called, is say, though I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands. You have come and are here met, in this very nick of time, by chance as it may seem. Yet it is not so. Believe rather that it is so ordered that we, who sit here, and none others, must now find counsel for the peril of the world.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The future, good or ill, was not forgotten, but ceased to have any power over the present. Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Yes, I am here. And you are lucky to be here too after all the absurd things you've done since you left home.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“But the only measure that he knows is desire desire for power and so he judges all hearts. Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it. If we seek this we shall put him out of reckoning.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!'
Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It is perilous to study too deeply the arts of the Enemy, for good or for ill.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Elves and Dragons! Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you'll land in trouble too big for you.

~Hamfast Gamgee (the Gaffer)”
tags: humor

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“But I am the real Strider, fortunately. I am Aragorn son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“So the days slipped away, as each morning dawned bright and fair, and each evening followed cool and clear. But autumn was waning fast; slowly the golden light faded to pale silver, and the lingering leaves fell from the naked trees. A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east. The Hunter's Moon waxed round in the night sky, and put to flight all the lesser stars. But low in the South one star shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. ”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Short cuts make long delays.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Tomorrow we may come this way,
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It is wisdom to recognize necessity when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Memory is not what the heart desires. That is only a mirror, be it clear as Kheled-zaram. Or so says the heart of Gimli the Dwarf.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful. In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or for spring. No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien, there was no stain.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Handsome is as handsome does”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Time doesn't seem to pass here: it just is.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Now and again he spoke to those that served him and thanked them in their own language. They smiled at him and said laughing: 'Here is a jewel among hobbits!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Well, you can go on looking forward," said Gandalf. "There may be many unexpected feasts ahead of you.”

“Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the Master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on on the story.”