The Joy of Booking's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

May 17, 12

Charles Duhigg has written what might be the perfect book for readers of narrative investigative nonfiction. Filled with anecdotes ranging from personal to societal to institutional habits, The Power of Habit is a broad and deep examination of how habits can rule our lives - for good or ill.

The majority of the book focuses on the history of this developing science - this is not a prescriptive book because as the author points out, each habit is different and there is no one-size-fits-all fix for the ones we'd like to change. Instead, learning how habits work can give us the knowledge and power to conquer our mindless behaviors. An appendix offers specific reader's guide to changing habits (it's available on Scribd) and helps the reader put into practice everything that Duhigg has explored in the previous pages.

I enjoyed this book every bit as much as I'd hoped I would - it's a wonderful, modern look at the topics covered in books like Blink, The Paradox of Choice and Emotional Intelligence. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.