Natalie's Reviews > Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

May 23, 2012

Read from May 17 to 18, 2012

Oh where do I begin?

I've been swamped with reading for school this semester, so last week, a day after my last class, I was at my sister's house watching my nephew. I usually read over there while he's napping or watching Diego, so I was bored that day and picked this book up off the shelf. In all honestly, I had been planning to do this for a while, and after finishing this book a day later, I am wondering what took me so long. Seriously, I laughed out loud multiple times.

Chelsea is one funny chic on her show, so I should not have been surprised. Still, the topics that are her funny on her show are celebrities falling apart and other publicity scandals. While she does take the opportunity to dig into these celebrities in the book, too, her life alone is one hysterical episode after the other. I finished this book with more anticipation and excitement than I would read your typical book- and I tend to read pretty quickly. But seriously, for a book with a less riveting plot line than most books I typically dive into, it was funny how attached I became to her stories of her ridiculous friends, strange family members, love of midgets, to name a few characters. (One of my favorite descriptions was the guy she dated, who she described as a mix between David Duchovony and WIll Smith.Really? I tried picturing that so many times.) That story, by the way, had me crying from laughing so hard) Also, if you need more convincing as to how amazing she is about the people in her life- how can you go wrong with a girl that affectionately refers to her father as "Bitch Tits." You really can't.

Do not read this book while sipping on a hot beverage or with a full bladder. It is spit out your coffee, pee your pants kind of funny. Also, if you have a really obnoxious laugh, or tend to snort in a really unattractive way, don't this book around people, because you will laugh and embaress yourself. I mean, that's what my friend said. I have a really beautiful giggle, I've been told. ;)

I'm returning this to my sister's house tomorrow and pulling the next Chelsea book of her shelf. Can't wait!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.