Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Second Chance Summer

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

May 28, 12

bookshelves: review-books
Read from May 19 to 21, 2012

I loved this book. It is a perfect example of the type of book I crave once summer gets near to put me in the mood for my summer holidays. It's a light and easy read with characters you can relate to and its both heart warming and heart breaking at the same time. Perfect!

There were several things I liked about this book.

I loved the relationship between Taylor and the wonderfully gorgeous Henry. I really enjoyed seeing them bond and rediscover the friendship they had lost all those year previously

I really liked the family dynamic in this book. Taylor isn't close with her family but not in a dysfunctional way. I can get a bit frustrated with books where the sisters in it are always the best of friends because if anything (and speaking for experience here) isn't it true that teenagers hate their siblings when they are young??

The thing that makes this book standout for me is the way in which it deals with loss in that it doesn't shy away from it and confronts head on the slow and agonising way in which Taylor has to watch her father slowly leave her in a really drawn out process. I must admit by the end of the book I was reading it with a lump in my throat.

All in all a perfect read for your summer holidays with real depth which you will want to devour in one sitting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Summer.