Norsk's Reviews > Blood Heavy

Blood Heavy by S.L.J. Shortt

Jun 06, 12

Read from May 17 to June 02, 2012, read count: 2

I got my copy of ”Blood heavy” through a R2R here on Goodreads, and I don’t really think I can fully express the joy I felt for choosing this book over the others offered! I gave this book 4 stars out of 5, because I think there is still room here for improvement, but I enjoyed reading it so much, I actually read it twice, to be able to, once again, appreciate all the things I loved reading it the first time!
There were some things about this book that were great: I loved the fact that the main character in this VAMPIRE THEMED NOVEL is MALE. Yup, you heard me. It’s a (very special) boy by the name of Daniel Jericho. And he has a slight vampire problem, as in, they are after him, and everyone he knows and loves is in danger because of it - hot vampire sisters and impending prom included. Heavy action ensues and rocks the boat of vampire chick flicks! After all these YA books about teenage girls that are waiting for their vampire prince on a black stallion called “Nightshade”, this was a breath of fresh air. No girly angst, no pinning, no whining, no sickening “ Why, oh why doesn’t he love meee”, in fact, the existing pining was so realistic and down-to-earth, interwoven with a completely normal sexual desire of a 16 year old male, that it almost came out anticlimactic! Because as many WOMEN authors that write in this genre tend to forget, the point is not just the romance, but also the mystery, the ACTION (they always skimp on the action), and this book is chock full of it! As Shortt is influenced by Joss Whedon, it is not surprising that the action part of this novel is greatly depicted.
The dialogue is one of the best qualities of this book, although, the thing that bothered me most was how juvenile the main characters sometimes sounded. Ok, I get that every teenage boy wants to be “tough”, fight the bad guys, get the girl (eternal love and marriage not included since the sexual revolution of the 1960s, “Twilight” and its clones notwithstanding), but the amount of “toughness” certain characters possessed was a bit over the top in my opinion. Another ting I liked, no, scratch that – LOVED, were some of the most hilarious Harry Potter references I have seen in a long time! There were not that many, but I squealed like a Kpop fangirl every time one magically appeared (pun intended), and this gets me to one of the biggest pluses of this novel: the dialogue.
The writer has his own unique writing style when it comes to action and humor, and that is what made me read it twice. The sheer amount of LOL- ing was considerably higher than any other book I have read in this genre, and the interaction between characters is witty, humorous and perfectly placed. Shortt is good at reading the atmosphere and even better at delivering the punch lines. I was smiling so often during reading, I looked like I swallowed a ruler! Yet another thing I have noticed is the way the writing style and the text itself changes and matures after about the first third of the book, like the writer himself got more into the story and the more he got into it, the better the story became. It truly enhanced the reading experience for me. If you are looking for a change in the genre, or just plain like action and a movie style atmosphere, this is definitely a book I recommend.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Heavy.