Jen's Reviews > The Happiness Project

2081012
May 17, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, non-fiction
Read from May 17 to June 01, 2012

This is the first time I've read anything that could qualify as a "self help" book, although it is targeted at people who don't actually need much help. It's not for people who want to be happy, but happ-ier. I loved the way she was able to bring together so much research -- it was like reading several happiness books at once. And while yes, the whole thing is a bit gimmicky, I found myself inspired by several of her strategies, which I hope to bring into my own life. I was fascinated by how her projct affected her relationships with her family and friends: a good reminder that attending to your own happiness is not a selfish act. An energizing read that's a great cue for examining your own inclinations, habits and tendencies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

Alexis I found this useful too, but I was floored by her lack of self-awareness. Still, I bought a copy and found that there are things/techniques that I use in my daily life in this book.

I would highly recommend her blog. It's one of my daily reads.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Well she's really self-aware of some things, but it's true, not so much about others. I also ended up buying a copy (my original was from the library), since I got quite a few takeaways too. And it'd be good to revisit as a reminder sometimes. Will definitely check out the blog. I felt like I was a happier person just while reading the book since I was so self-aware, I imagine the blog will be a good addition!