Ruby Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] 's Reviews > The Mosaic of the Broken Soul

The Mosaic of the Broken Soul by Branka Cubrilo
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mosaic of the Broken Soul.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Awww. Sock puppets are so cute at that 2-hour-old stage.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Cooper wrote: "When envy struck small, insignificant and talentless creatures, they are LOUD, red and canberra-like bogans. Don't hurt miss nobody, just ask yourself who you are? Nobody! Your comment tells all ab..."

When I want the opinion of a grown man pretending to be a 10 year old girl, I'll....... wait. That'll never happen.

message 3: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Wow. I've never seen this many sock-puppets attack at once, I thought most people only wore one at a time. Impressive and the childish antics of the author are sure to win new readers.

message 4: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg It would also be more convincing if the sock puppets didn't all pretty much review the same small number of books with the exact same ratings.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Greg wrote: "It would also be more convincing if the sock puppets didn't all pretty much review the same small number of books with the exact same ratings."

...and like and comment on each other's reviews with much the same phrasing. The commitment to trolling is awe inspiring.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] It would also be more convincing if the sock puppets all hadn't happened to email me at the same time, saying the same things with the same spelling mistakes.
Or maybe if they weren't pretending to be 10 year old girls who had just happened to read all my favourite adult books this week and rated them 1 star. I don't think Socky's figured out I didn't actually write those books - I just read them.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] I've got a book recommendation for you this time, Socky:

message 8: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg I was wondering what their beef was with Brief History of the Dead and We3.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the author of this book is an insecure piece of shit.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Now, now. Maybe they just read this book and got carried away..?
Make Your Own Stupid Sock Creatures
Make Your Own Stupid Sock Creatures by Lark Books

message 10: by karen (new)

karen wow. lots of "reviews" for this one.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Shit, I should write a review for this book.

message 12: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg I was thinking I should to, I love getting mindless trolls and this seems to be a goldmine of them.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I’m totally going to, but later when I’m not so hung over.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Oh noes! The bonus material has been removed.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Oh, it's okay now. The author and (coincidentally) all of the people who posted in this thread just turned up on my FB page. Phew!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruby wrote: "Oh, it's okay now. The author and (coincidentally) all of the people who posted in this thread just turned up on my FB page. Phew!"

Wait, seriously? Are you comfortable linking to it?

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] I'll try, but three of the links seem to have been deleted, and the other isn't showing up on my page - just via the notifications. I'll try and get a screenshot of the "picture of me" she posted. It's the funniest thing...

Sheila It looks like a bunch of the socks were deleted, probably by Goodreads management. There were 20 reviews on this book earlier today, and now there are only 11, so 9 reviewers were deleted (and with them their reviews get deleted also)

message 19: by Ruby (last edited May 21, 2012 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] The pic seems to have been posted, then removed, but tagged as Ruby Tombstone. It's not a good likeness. My hair is darker.
[image error]

Screenshot of the comments:

Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 12.39.32 PM

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] "You got a monkey business"! There's the humour for which this book is so renowned.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow.

message 22: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Is the fraudulent store your etsy site? What are the four major online websites? This is a baffling over the top temper tantrum all because someone didn't like your stupid book.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] No idea. The direct message I got from the author doesn't shed any light on that. I should note that this came within 10 minutes of all the other posts to my FB page "from people unknown":
Part One -

Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 12.53.33 PM

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] I love that she refers me back to the GR entry to hear what people have to say.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you flag these accounts as puppets? I see a bunch of accounts were deleted, but has anyone had any correspondence from GR about the matter?

message 27: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg This is another reason why it's probably best to never agree to read some authors book who emails you on goodreads begging for a review.

message 28: by Ruby (last edited May 21, 2012 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Ceridwen- I flagged all of the direct messages I received. Also, she marked all my favourite & currently-reading books with one star reviews, which is pretty shameful and unfair to the authors of those books. While Steinbeck won't be affected by this, some of the newer authors have been. That has been taken up with GoodReads by me and by at least one of the other authors. Their one star reviews still seem to be there, but the account in question has been de-activated. GoodReads hasn't replied to my messages as yet.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I was seriously confused here for a moment, because I was trying to figure how someone could de-activate a Goodreads account. I went to the main book page, and my browser must have cached the info from the deleted profiles, because the reviews still show up until I try to click on the link. So that profile has been deleted too.

message 30: by Ruby (last edited May 21, 2012 09:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] I think the reviews stay even after someone's account is deleted. I was concerned that might be the case. I do hope the one-star reviews she left behind can be removed. I'm quite happy for her to lash out at me for exposing her, but what did the author of Monty the Runaway Mouse ever do to her?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think the reviews stay after an account deletion - it's just the cache on your browser returning the information. Try clearing it and reloading.

Sheila If the account was deleted, the reviews will go away. They might show up for a few days on a book page (caching issue) but they will end up going away.

message 33: by Gertie (new)

Gertie Lol, better "then" usual.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Gertie wrote: "Lol, better "then" usual."

I've actually left the picture there. Suits me :)

message 35: by karen (new)

karen this might be my favorite, although brief, goodreads meltdown ever.

message 36: by Riona (new)

Riona I love that most of the top reviews on the page are now negative ones. Backfire!

message 37: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Riona wrote: "I love that most of the top reviews on the page are now negative ones. Backfire!"

Success! If anyone wants they can also head over to amazon and rate all the similar sounding five star reviews as unhelpful.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] I'm posting these just in case anything should happen to me. (see Kristen's review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)
Remember me fondly..

Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 12.56.21 PM

Continued..
Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 12.57.48 PM

Maybe I should give her my mailing address as she suggests. I haven't received any severed horses heads recently.

message 39: by Gertie (new)

Gertie Hmmm... Kristen's review is entertaining, but despite the fact that it becomes obvious by the end that it is a joke, can't it be seen as libel, particularly in the event that it is actually some rabid fan who was the crowd of sock puppets? I guess it just seems like feeding the fire, others here probably disagree with me. :-)

But seriously Ruby, I hope your future is free of horse's heads and boiled rabbits.

message 40: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Another "authors gone wild on GR/FB". It's both sad and entertaining.

message 41: by Riona (new)

Riona Oh, so entertaining. I love when obnoxious authors dig their own graves. Internet marketing guys, there's a right way and a wrong way.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] It's hard to imagine a more perfect example of "How Not To Market A Book" that's for sure.

For the sake of a couple of people I've talked to, I'll clarify:
- Kristen's review is satire. Hilarious, hilarious satire.
- I have no intention of giving this person my address.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Also for the benefit of people who have asked:
- I hadn't read the book when I posted the sock puppet alert. I didn't claim to have read it. I didn't put it on my "read" shelf, but the "don't-feed-the-sock-puppet" shelf. I gave it one-star to ensure it would be seen on the page and serve as a warning to potential readers. I'm okay with that given all the fake 5 star reviews of the book.
- I have skimmed the book since, mostly to see if the writing style matched the abusive messages I received. It does. As it turns out, one-star is an overstatement of the book's merits.

message 44: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. I don't know why you need to explain yourself. I've read the "5 star" reviews. They are antagonistic, pretentious, patronizing and incredibly childish. I loved Kristen's review, but the craziest thing so far is her contact with you. Interesting the good reviews are new users with no photos... Hmmm....

Authors don't do well online. Check out Karen Marie Moning's FB profile pic album: the before pics and the after lingerie pics for another outrageous example of authors gone wild.

(sorry I can't insert the pictures from my IDevice but I'll try from my computer)

message 45: by Gertie (new)

Gertie Haha, here is one:

[image error]

message 46: by Brittany B. (last edited May 23, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Brittany B. Omg! Gertie! I love You!!! That's the exact picture I was going to post!!

Please compare the above pic to Karen Marie Moning

Are you kidding me???

message 47: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Seriously bizarre. And KMM needs no Sockpuppets. She does need a PR person to stop her from drunk-posting!

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] She must have recently gotten one, because those other profile pics disappeared VERY quickly. Gone :(

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Brittany B. wrote: "I don't know why you need to explain yourself. I've read the "5 star" reviews. They are antagonistic, pretentious, patronizing and incredibly childish. I loved Kristen's review, but the craziest th..."

I seemed to spend a lot of time yesterday explaining jokes & comments I made. I'm never sure if it's a cultural misunderstanding type thing or if I've just said something completely retarded :)

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] BTW in no reasonable universe should the name "Moning" rhyme with "awning" (see her bio).

« previous 1