Suzanne's Reviews > A Hundred Flowers

A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from July 08 to 15, 2012

One of the things I love about historical fiction, is that you can be transported to another time and place, and get the feeling of living in history. I’m fascinated by different historical eras, and one of those is post revolution China. In A Hundred Flowers, the year is 1958 and Chairman Mao is in power. Many have learned to keep their mouths shut, for fear of arrest. But the government wants to root out all who would oppose them, so Mao declared “Let a hundred flowers boom; let a hundred schools of thought contend.” By encouraging openness among China’s citizens, the Communist Party set a trap to capture anyone who disagreed with Mao’s policies. Those who spoke up were sent away to labor camps.

In this novel, we have a small family in which the father has been shipped 1,000 miles away as punishment for writing a letter to the government. His wife, son and elderly father are left to cope with his absence in a world where neighbor turns against neighbor. Yet here, in Tsukiyama’s world, honor, love and self-sacrifice are the messages that shine above the heartbreak of this families losses.

I enjoyed this book, and it’s message. I have read many books about this time period and A Hundred Flowers does not openly display the ugliness and horror of this time, making it ideal for high school age readers. I’d like to thank St. Martin’s Press for sending me an advance review copy of this book. A Hundred Flowers is due to hit the shelves in August 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hundred Flowers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla I read the Samurai's Garden and thoroughly enjoyed!!!!

Suzanne Glad to hear positive reviews of this author. The subject matter intrigued me, so I'm looking forward to reading this!

message 3: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie I love her books!

message 4: by Stacee (new)

Stacee I have read several of her books and loved them all!

Suzanne It's so fun to discover a new author I can enjoy!