Samuel's Reviews > Darth Plagueis

Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

May 17, 2012

bookshelves: star-wars, science-fiction
Read in September, 2011

A prequel to the prequels. That's the description to this book. James Luceno does a good job at creating the character of Darth Sidious that is in the movies through his life and how the whole entire movies started. It's great to see how everything becomes connected between the prequel movies and the original trilogy. How the whole Sith plan was furnished on two of the most powerful beings in the galaxy.

I'm glad that George Lucas had approved of the backstory of Plagueis in this book. The last time he had done it for another epic book was the Thrawn series.

Make no mistake there is a TON of references of other books, movies, and the TV series in this book. And as I had said before, almost everything in the movies and books are all interconnected by a web that these two Sith and Qui-Gon had unintentionally created.

As a SW nerd, I'm pleased with this book. I could say for a fact that whenever I spotted a reference, even a minuscule one, I would get all jittery with excitement. I would like to contradict on what other people say that this book answers TOO many questions that have been asked. This is what this book is for. The question if Darth Maul survived has been answered by the TV series. What Darth Maul will do, will be answered in time. There are plenty of others as well, but if you're an original trilogy fan, and hate the prequels, then please don't respond negatively to this book. It's a great book and deserves respect for having to making the origin of Darth Sidious and the sith from the movies.

This ain't how you thought of Star Wars this is how George Lucas thought of Star Wars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darth Plagueis.

04/09 marked as: read

Chasey Prequel to the prequels. That is exactly how I described this. Not so much because just because of the time period, but because it cleans up SO many plot holes from the movies. This was the most massive retcon effort ever undertaken in the history of the EU (in a good way). I am also a huge SW nerd, from movies to tv shows to books to games to comics, so seeing the little drops of characters and stories from other books and movies really delighted me (Kamari Vosa, Jorus C'Boath, Wat Tambor, Dathomiri Force Witches, The Ruusan Reformation, and even uber obscure stuff from the 70's comic book like House Tagge and Bail Antilles).

Maria Adela Between this novel and the tendrils Bane sent out while hiding (his informants, web of sources of all kinds) ...the focus on patience and cunning, stealth (many have not liked that trilogy and Bane because of this. To me he was a stronger With for what many see as weaker Sith traits. Anyhow...to see the plan FINALLY coalesce and the fascination, and the bit if horror atnjust how well they controlled their chess board.

Gotta say, they may go all aggression only when not doing the stealth but manipulation, superficial charm....seen in psychopaths etc. They aren't exactly happy signs.
The way they manipulated, especially Palpatine. (I came to like his character in this book quite a bit. I live good crafty villains.)
It was disturbing even how he goes about achieving emancipation.

And realising even Padme had easily become part of the grand plan.
A research addict, I gotta say they thought things out rather well.

It was wonderfully written. I read it thrice when I go.

Seeing the pieces align with the Sith being the winners in this chess game...I loved having this backstorry. Makes the Sith seem less brutish and utter geniuses (OK not fully) and just enriched it all for me