Megan's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

May 17, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

'Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood' is the sequel to Wells' first novel, 'Little Altars Everywhere'. Following the Walker clan from the first book, 'Divine Secrets' is a journey into the relationship between Ya-Ya queen Vivi Abbott Walker and her theatre director daughter, Siddalee. Full of accounts from both of their lives from birth to present day, the novel weaves a story about the way the past can shape us, break us and ultimately heal us.

When Sidda mistakenly opens up to a journalist about her abusive childhood and it is published in the paper for all to see, her already tenuous relationship with her mother is damaged to what they feel is the point of no return. This chasm between mother and daughter sets Sidda on an emotional crash course through her past in an attempt to reconcile with the hurt and pain of her childhood, and to help her with her ability to love her fiance, Connor McGill. Told in alternating perspectives and decades, 'Divine Secrets' takes the reader on a journey from the sultry, humid Louisiana bayou, to the cool, earthy Washington forests.

Rebecca Wells is a skilled writer and weaver of tales. Her writing is sumptuous, and reading through the different vignettes feels like pure gluttony. Every sense is aroused with her writing, which is one of the things I love most about it. She describes everything so properly and so thoroughly that you can't help but feel like you are right there, surrounded by this wacky cast of characters. 'Divine Secrets' is a quick read and would appeal most to the Southern Lit and Women's Lit crowds. If you like gossip, scandal and humor, then this is definitely a great choice for you! It has its issues, but I find it to be a well rounded novel and give it four stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

Quotes Megan Liked

Rebecca Wells
“The soft aroma of old worn cotton from a linen chest, the lingering smell of tobacco on an angora sweater; Jergen's hand lotion, sauteed green peppers and onions; the sweet, nutty smell of peanut butter and bananas, the oaken smell of good bourbon. A combination of lily of the valley, cedar, vanilla, and somewhere, the lingering of old rose. These smells are older than any thought. Mama, Teensy, Neecie, and Caro, each one of them had an individual scent, to be sure. But this is the Gumbo of their scents. This is the Gumbo Ya-Ya. This is the internal vial of perfume I carry with me everywhere I go.”
Rebecca Wells, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood