Tal's Reviews > The Factory of Facts

The Factory of Facts by Luc Sante

Sep 22, 08

“The past is a notional construct, a hypothesis, a poem. I hold on to its passport because it was issued at my birth, without any possibility of my assenting or not. It’s not so much a document as it is a brand or a scar. I don’t really endorse the past, mind you, and I don’t intend to go back and settle there. My actual relation to the past is ironic, if anything, even if the irony is poisoned with sentiment; I can laugh at the past but the laughter sticks in my throat. I certainly feel more affection for it from a distance. And only from within the past can I appreciate the present, which is all things considered a dispiriting place to live. Each is a shabby, passive-aggressive dictatorship of compromise and self-delusion. Under the rhetoric, we all know this. I’m not alone because every one of us is an alien. That makes us all compatriots.”

Can’t comment too much because there’s a conflict of interest here and because talking about this book makes me a little nervous. I would say read it because it gives a glimpse into what Luc’s aesthetic and teaching style is, which is half-personified by that quote above. If anything, you can read some exquisite essays.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Factory of Facts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin What's the conflict of interest?

message 2: by Tal (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tal A: I'm Batman

Nah, I know the guy.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin As soon as I posted my comment, I thought, "Hmm....Bard?" Wikipedia confirms.