Megan's Reviews > Leaving Atlanta

Leaving Atlanta by Tayari Jones

May 17, 2012

bookshelves: owned
Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

'Leaving Atlanta' is an exceptional historical fiction novel that chronicles the murders of over twenty black children in Atlanta in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Told from the perspectives of three young elementary school students, Tayari Jones weaves a tale of fear, mystery and coming of age in a world so terrifying and uneasy for so many children.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would definitely recommend it to those who enjoy more modern historical fiction, true crime novels (though this one is only fiction based on a true event), and authors like Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou. My only real complaint is that the author has inserted herself into the novel as a minor character. I'm guessing it was to make it feel more authentic since she is real and the child murders were real. However, it is jarring every time she mentions herself by name and is quite strange seeing how this is only a fiction novel. Outside of that, I have no complaints or critiques. It's dark, it's deep, it's fast paced and it will utterly engulf you. Four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Atlanta.

10/13/2016 marked as: read