Tima's Reviews > The Sign of the Beaver

The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare

Jun 23, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-childhood, read-in-2012, 2-stars, young-adult, historical-fiction
Recommended to Tima by: My 3rd grade teacher
Recommended for: early readers, beginners, 2nd grade
Read from June 21 to 23, 2012 , read count: 3

When I read this book at a much younger age, I adored it. Let's be real, I probably had an unrealistic crush on the fictional Attean. Tall, dark, handsome, strong, intelligent, good with hands... ;)

Alright, alright so he is 14 in this book, but I was merely a young lass enamored with the idea of a gorgeous Native American boy to sweep me off my feet.

Now about the book itself... It is an easy read for 2nd-5th graders, I would say. It doesn't teach much but the plot is catching enough that young readers would devour it. A young boy's father leaves him alone in a cabin surrounded by nothing but forest while he returns to Quincy, Maine to retrieve his wife and child. In his absence, Matt [boy] meets Attean [Indian] and against all odds, they become friends. As things progress, he is invited to join the tribe in their move West. Does he abandon the cabin he's guarded for almost a year or does he wait for his family's return? *cue dramatic music* You'll just have to read it to find out!

What I don't like is the inconsistent writing. The author used very ridiculous speech for the Indians. "Me Attean. We no like white man. White man words bad". She gives the boy's father a type of hybrid old-english-southern-alabama accent, while Matt's is plain ol' english. At times, she uses modern slang such as : "the village was awesome" and "now it looks lame".

9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sign of the Beaver.

06/22 page 15
11.0% "Pre-screening another book to send upstate to my little sis :)"
02/20 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Moody The words awesome and lame are not used as modern slang. They are being used as they would have been in that time, as perfectly acceptable adjectives with rather serious definitions.