Megan's Reviews > Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood

May 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: owned, ya-lit, chick-lit
read count: 1

As an avid fan of the Traveling Pants books, I was a bit disappointed with the third novel of the series. As others have said, the Pants have a very minor role in this book and the focus is purely on the girls. On top of that, only one of them is away during this summer so many of the fun letters and exchanges have been removed. Those letters were part of what gave the book some flair. However, the book isn't a bad one. While it is my least favorite in the series so far, it is still leaps and bounds better than many other YA fiction. I find that in each book I gravitate more towards one girl's journey than the others. In the first book it was Tibby. In the second book it was Bridget. In this book I found Lena's story to be the one that was the most interesting and well thought out, with Bridget's being a close second. It was nice to see Lena transform into a stronger, more self-sufficient version of herself. It was refreshing to watch her fight for her dream of going to art school and finally letting go of Kostos. The other three story lines just didn't seem to compare as far as depth and self-discovery were concerned. In the end, this book is pretty average. I think that Traveling Pants fans will still love it for bringing us another summer in the lives of four of our favorite girls, but I wouldn't recommend the uninitiated to start with this one. Three and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls in Pants.