Ophelia3339's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

U_50x66
Jun 03, 12

Read from May 16 to June 03, 2012

I usually don't read "self help" books. They are usually self aggrandizing drivel written by people whose worst moment of their life is ordering Diet Coke and getting Diet Pepsi instead. I do admit there are a few books/programs/retreats/ seminars/conferences/studies/informal conversations there that can be helpful. But which philosophy to follow? How far down the rabbit hole do you need to go before you find that this is just not for you? How much emotional unpacking of suitcases did you do before you realized WTF? But, worse, they sometimes involve workbooks or exercises or some form of mental gymnastics that some of us mere mortals could never hope to perform.
If you are familiar with Augusten Burroughs you will know he has lived what you might call an extraordinary life. Highs, lows, strange and wonderful things have occurred in his general vicinity. Or more likely, knocked him to the ground with a giant fist from the sky labeled "LIFE". Maybe some of us can totally relate, maybe others are reading passages of his books and wondering a.) how did he come out the other side seeming well adjusted and with acceptable table manners and b.) boy a did he dodge a bullet there.
This is How speaks complicated truths simply, and simply truths complexly. Remind you of something? This little screenplay/sandbox we call existence can be a long strange trip. It is nice to have someone with the life experience and balls to come out and write some of them down for the rest of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.