The Book Tart's Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

May 16, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Ok- this is my first official review as The Book Tart… It’s of Wicked As They Come by Delilah S. Dawson. It’s the first book in a trilogy and it’s Amazing! Last weekend I curled up in my chair and read all day, well most of the day, life interrupted a bit. But I did NOT want to leave my chair. I was engrossed, immersed in the adventures of Letitia and the world of Sang. Wicked As They Come is the first Steampunk book I’ve read and I absolutely LOVED it. You really, really need to read it! I’m going write this review like I’m telling my friends about the book. Cause I don’t know how else to do it! :p

The heroine, Tish, or Letitia, is a hospice nurse and goes to an estate sale for a patient who passed away. As she’s wandering around an item attracts her interest and she picks up an old locket. She receives a emergency call and dashes out accidently taking the locket with her. She feels a bit wicked but decides no one will miss it. At home she tries to clean it and when she pries the locket open red liquid splatters out and stains her hand. The locket reveals a portrait of a man she refers to as extra-naughty Mr. Darcy. Side note- I loved how Tish thought. She was snarky and relatable and very likable. I wanted to be her friend! Ok, so she goes to bed wearing the locket and wakes up to what she thinks is a very vivid dream, naked! And her naughty Mr. Darcy is staring at her. His name is Criminy (in her head she comments that it rhymes with Jiminy Cricket) He is a Bludman and he sent the locket out into the worlds to find his mate. *sigh* I adored Criminy, he talked a bit like Spike from Buffy- calling Letitia love. And he’s what Tish and I would call a vampire, a Bludman, who drinks blood to survive. Once Leticia accepts that this isn’t a dream she’s actually in another world, one with very different rules, we are taken on an adventure with her.

The world of Sang has Bludmen and Pinkies (all the people who don’t live on blood). Most of the wildlife have become blood drinkers. She finds that out the hard way when a cute little bunny hops up and bites her on the ankle! The Pinkies protect themselves by covering up as much skin as possible; this is where the Victorian style clothing comes in! Buttoned up to the neck, down to the toes, corsets and bustles oh, my. Criminy is the ringmaster of a traveling carnival and much to her amazement, he can perform real magic.

Leticia and Criminy are very attracted to each other *Yum!* But, this isn’t one of those stories where the character wakes up in another world as is all, “Yay! I’ll stay. My old life was so horrible”. She has a grandmother that she loves very much and has been taking care of. She’s torn between two worlds, one with a man she could love and another with and her grandmother that she loves. The story explores her struggles with the choices she is given and the strength she discovers.

We are immersed in the world of Sang, filled with clockwork creations, sea monsters and bludbunnies! Letitia discovers in this new world, she has a gift too. She is a Glancer and when she touches someone’s hand she gets a glimpse of their past or future.

I was totally sucked into this world and captured by the characters. I was drawn to Letitia and Criminy and their journey. I was rooting for them and enjoyed watching their relationship deepen. The story also has an external conflict besides Letitia being pulled between two worlds. There is political unrest in the world of Sang… And that’s not something that can be resolved in one story- the racism and fear between the two peoples is extreme. I am excited to see where Ms. Dawson takes us. I want it now! *stomps foot* Aack! But I will be eagerly awaiting the tale. I am hooked on this world and the characters and want to continue the journey.

It’s a delightfully fun, creative, sexy and sweet book! I was laughing out loud throughout the story, and on the edge of my seat during some of the scenes. There’s adventure and intrigue and passion. The chemistry between the main characters burns the pages *sigh* I highly recommend this book! If you like well drawn characters, strong, unique world building, romance, fantasy, steam punk and intriguing machines… Go Buy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.