Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > London's Overthrow

3920693
Apr 18, 13

Read in May, 2012

Rating: 5 outraged stars of five

This call to arms has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.

Content Warning: If the idea of a civilization being strangled by sado-monetarism causes you to froth at the mouth, you need to read this book.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London's Overthrow.

message 1: by Carol. (new)

Carol. Sad, but nicely written.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Carol wrote: "Sad, but nicely written."

Thank you, Carol.

message 3: by Bennet (new)

Bennet RE: What there is most decidedly not is any ear turned even slightly away from the more more more more more me me me me me greed that finances government officials' elections and their cushy retirements

I take it I'm not the only one who's had enough of campaigning? But the cushy retirement thing is really blowing my mind. I was thinking, well, if nothing else, retirement will get them, because nobody can afford to retire anymore. But of course they can, and now I'm really mad.

Another great review.

Nataliya Wonderful review, Richard. Sad, but wonderful.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Bennet wrote: "RE: But the cushy retirement thing is really blowing my mind. I was thinking, well, if nothing else, retirement will get them, because nobody can afford to retire anymore. But of course they can, and now I'm really mad."

It makes me almost physically ill to think of these yahoos with their lifetime health care and generous pension plans sucking up money that could be spent on decent, hard-working welfare queens. I'd rather make those creatures of myth all, each and every one, rich than spend one cent of tax money keeping Cheney alive, or Boehner healthy.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Nataliya wrote: "Wonderful review, Richard. Sad, but wonderful."

Thank you, Nataliya.

message 7: by Naftoli (new) - added it

Naftoli I agree that we're in a world of hurt! I *do* believe in and like capitalism though I think it has been hijacked by the corporations and the Supreme Court ruling strengthening the position that corporations are just individual people (do they think we are really that stupid? or have they lost touch with reality?) is what is doing us in. I am going to mark this book "to-read" so I can learn (sadly, apparently) if the same damn thing is happening in the United Kingdom. I mean, come on folks ... how can we have a free market system when the corporations are parading about, pretending to be individual human beings (that weild billions of dollars). Hm.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's a global phenomenon, Nato, and an inevitable consequence of the legal fiction of personhood.

Nothin' wrong with capitalism so long as it's actually socialism. Otherwise, we're in the lather-rinse-repeat eternity.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Sckenda ATTICA! ATTICA! MIDDLE CLASS WORKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE! PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE TOO, MY FRIEND! FEED THE POOR, EAT THE RICH! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I once made the witticism "Better Attica than Gattaca," and was stared at blankly. Most disheartening.

message 11: by Carol. (new)

Carol. Richard wrote: "Eat the rich? No thanks, I'm watching my cholesterol. Tax them motherfuckers, for sure."

Yes, I think they are high in trans fats.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Carol wrote: "Richard wrote: "Eat the rich? No thanks, I'm watching my cholesterol. Tax them motherfuckers, for sure."

Yes, I think they are high in trans fats."

From living high on the hog.

message 13: by Carol. (new)

Carol. *zing!*

;)

I enjoy your threads.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thanks, Carol! I enjoy them too.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Oh Richard what a great review. It's heartbreaking.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Tracy wrote: "Oh Richard what a great review. It's heartbreaking."

My heart breaks every time I watch the news. I hate what the right has done to the country I love, with the collusion of the credulous and pusillanimous.

What survives these evil people's agenda will not be the country it should have been.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I am always amazed that the people who would benefit from things like Medicare or socialized medicine seem to not want it. They don't want their taxes to go to support other sick people. They buy in to the notion that all taxation is bad. The thing is that taxes are one way to redistribute wealth. It isn't always the best way to be sure but the middle class are taxea lot and the wealthy pay very little. Giving less well off people a chance at a decent education and health care that doesn't bankrupt them are things that should be supported. I'm Canadian and some of the political shenanigans in the US baffle me. I'm not trying to be insulting it's just that the neo-conservative movement in the US seems to be destroying all of the ideals and principles that made America such a great country.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's not that they don't want the benefits, Tracy...it's that they don't want others to have them if it means paying taxes to support cheaters and layabouts and Them. (Pick a Them, anyone not you will do.)

It's a vicious, beady-eyed nastiness of the soul that I associate with christian values of hatred, exclusion, judgment, and condemnation. The choking fog of religion has made the country's public discourse into a celebration of ignorance and superstition and pursey-lipped disapproval of that which shouldn't even be discussed in connection with issues like health care or civil rights.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Oh so well put. I love it when you get riled!!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Sadly, I stay riled much of the time these days. But hey, so long as I'm amusing while being infuriated, I suppose it's all in a day's work.

message 21: by Carol. (new)

Carol. Richard wrote: "It's not that they don't want the benefits, Tracy...it's that they don't want others to have them if it means paying taxes to support cheaters and layabouts and Them. (Pick a Them, anyone not you w..."

^Love.

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Yeah me too!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thanks, Carol. I just wish I was wrong.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Richard wrote: "Thanks, ladies. I just wish I was wrong."

message 25: by Carol. (new)

Carol. I know you aren't. I live in the Scott Walker state.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Carol wrote: "I know you aren't. I live in the Scott Walker state."

My late auntie lived most of her 92 years in Madison, until we brought her here to Long Island for her last years. I always felt uneasy with her politics. The state that gave us LaFollette also gave us McCarthy and this yahoo in the governor's office now.

I'm old now, because I'm infirm, and can't get out and wave signs and scream imprecations at the authorities. I would if I could. I don't know that it does a whit of good, but I think at least one or two young people would be embarrassed into action if they could see an old graybearded grandpa gettin' worked up over the future.

It matters! I want to bellow in their complacent fat faces. IT MATTERS WHO CONTROLS THE LEVERS OF POWER! And they munch on, listening to the loudest idiot, ignoring the evidence around them.

message 27: by Carol. (new)

Carol. *applause*

Yes, WI is very odd politically, and Madison is its own anomaly.

message 28: by Traveller (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:20AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Nato wrote: "I agree that we're in a world of hurt! I *do* believe in and like capitalism though I think it has been hijacked by the corporations and the Supreme Court ruling strengthening the position that co..."

Capitalism - yes. Free market - yes. Monopoly? No. When a monopoly rules, it's not free, anyway.

message 29: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Richard wrote: "
Tax them motherfuckers, for sure."

Oh, absolutely. Not the only thing that needs to be done, but it's a good start...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It is a good start. It would require backbone to do it, so it most likely won't get done any time soon. Depressing thought, that.

message 31: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Richard wrote: "It is a good start. It would require backbone to do it, so it most likely won't get done any time soon. Depressing thought, that."

Yip! Since the fats cats own the system to start with, it's a bit late to try and start a revolt now, but it's simply got to be done sometime...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's the "sometime" bit that has me exercised. If not now, when? How much worse does it have to get for the average person before the uprising begins? Hunger's not enough, it has to be starvation?

Climate change plus the mass extinction we're going through will provide that, but honestly, then it's too damned late.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Sun Sign out and look at the main page for this book. Do you also see something odd?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Nnnooo...what am I looking for, and where?

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Sun Looks like your full review still shows? I know there's a delay for updates sometimes but I see it on the London's Overthrow page even when I'm signed in.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways How weird! I saw only my update, even when I signed out and came in as a guest!

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Sun Okay, maybe it's just a cookie.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I expect that's all it is.