Javier Robayo's Reviews > The Priest

The Priest by Monica La Porta

May 20, 12

Read from May 16 to 20, 2012

This is, hands down, one of the best books I've ever read. Mauricio's plight as a slave, brutally abused and treated no better than a somewhat useful animal, made me realize just how much I take my freedom for granted. Seeing life through his eyes made me run outside at times, just to dispel the feelings evoked on the page. Monica La Porta does an incredible job of putting the reader right in Mauricio's mind, where you're subjected to an emotional journey that will leave you in tatters because of its beautiful poignancy. When everything is taken from you, when you face pain or death over the most minor offense, what is there to live for?
Enter the President's daughter, who despite enjoying a privileged life knows herself to be a slave to a legion of expectations imposed upon her. Their story is one of triumph of the one thing no one can take away from us, love. Despite the stark setting, the emotions are palpable. You feel for these two wonderful characters. You will be overwhelmed by outrage at times, you will laugh at the levity that's a testament to the spirit of these people, and you will shed tears born of different emotional extremes.
The temptation to share some of the powerful lines from THE PRIEST is great, but I cannot in good conscience give away such gems. Any reader will feel the wind knocked out of them upon encountering these aforementioned lines. THE PRIEST is a story that will stay with you long after closing that final page. Yours truly will never look at a blade of grass the same way, and I'll never again take the song of birds for an annoyance. Monica La Porta has instilled in me a new perspective on life, and you'd be robbing yourself of an incredible experience if you don't get this book in your hands. It was an honor and a privilege to read Monica's work, and I'm looking forward to her next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Priest.

05/18/2012
45.0% "and it's G O O D !!!"
05/19/2012
100.0% "I will remember this book for a long time to come"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by CF (new) - added it

CF Winn Wow! That's some review. I think I'm going to pick up a copy of this one and read it while I'm in the Outer Banks. Thanks for the recommendation!