Ash's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

May 16, 12

bookshelves: arcs, favorites, read-in-2012, reviewed-typing-tiara-blog
Read from June 18 to 19, 2012

Grave Mercy has one of those opening lines that grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go until you finally turn the last page. I was slightly intimidated by the length of this novel when I picked it up as I had prior engagements (read as I was coming down to the wire on a couple other books that I still needed to read and review) and was afraid that a tome of this size would take even me, an insanely fast reader, forever to get through as I had only been reading thinner volumes. But no. I devoured it. I finished this novel in a SINGLE day. A SINGLE BEEP DAY.

Ismae is a nun assassin. You just don't get any more epic a heroine than that no matter how hard or long you look. She was used and abused as a girl and developed an extreme case of the man-hating. She learned to take care of herself, she learned so that she (nor any other girl/woman that she came across) would have to deal with what she did. Ismae is inspiring really. Aside from the whole maiden of death thing. Though, in its own right that is pretty epic. In a lot of ways (her extreme loyalty, her reluctance around men, her sheer stubborness) reminded me of Katsa of Kristin Cashore's Graceling.

Duval...as I told Alli of Magnet 4 Books Reviews...there just are not words to describe him. He was clever, he was handsome, he was...my medieval fictional boyfriend of choice.

Ismae's fellow nuns? SO WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE GIRLS. Which I'm excited to discover, courtesy of the back of the book, that we will be finding out more about them in the sequels. They were just that incredibly awesome in their own ways. I loved them. ESPECIALLY SYBELLA. <3

Court intrigue, assassins (that are nuns nonetheless!), romance, fighting and death...Grave Mercy has it all and therefore has something for everyone. This is historical fantasy done right. This novel will definitely be making my top ten list for this year and I will be recommending it to everyone I see. Heck, even my BF (a non-reader aside from comics and graphic novels) was hooked on the idea of nun assassins. So definitely give this one a chance, you will not regret it.

Rating: 5/5
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

06/19/2012 page 11