Tresuiri's Reviews > Aristotle's Children: How Christians, Muslims, and Jews Rediscovered Ancient Wisdom and Illuminated the Middle Ages

Aristotle's Children by Richard E. Rubenstein

Oct 19, 08

Recommended to Tresuiri by: Recoded Books, Inc.
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

This book was very good in giving an overview of Aristotle's work as it survived its passage of time. It did focus heavily on its affect on Christianity since it was the dominant form of religion for the past two centuries. I enjoyed the sewing together of religious history and prominent philosophical figures for a generous overview. I particularly enjoyed the highlight of various heretical views of rogue Christian factions through time as Mr. Rubenstein chronicled the Catholic Church's history. It’s funny how people who have not studied religion come up with the same heretical concepts that people held many centuries ago and likely many people died for by the hands of the Catholic Church. Moreover, it was surprising to me that what we call the "war between science and religion" was lost centuries ago to science. Mr. Rubenstein makes a good point that we, collectively as a society, diminish each other when we don't respect each other's point of view. In today's context we associate religious fever with faith to the Republican party, and then science with reason with the Democrats. Funny how history repeats itself, huh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aristotle's Children.