Slobodan's Reviews > The Verdant Passage

The Verdant Passage by Troy Denning

Jan 20, 14

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 17 to 20, 2014

The world of Athas is basically Australia. It's damn hot and if sunstroke doesn't kill you, then you'll die from some god-awful poisonous creature.

The Dark Sun novels were my short stint at taking up Dungeons & Dragons as a hobby when I was a young teenager. Going to my local book store, which also supplied all things 'nerdy', I was enticed by Brom's amazing and unique artwork for the covers. Thankfully the book has more merits to go on than a pretty picture.

The Verdant Passage is a quick and easy read about the city of Tyr - ruled by King Kalak and his Templar cronies. Due to his tyrannical ways, an underground movement called "The Veiled Alliance" is plotting his assassination. After having his slaves confiscated for the Kings works by the High Templar and childhood friend Tithian, Agis of House Asticles meets with other members of the Senate in an attempt to rally opposition against King Kalak's latest decree. By happenstance he ends up bidding for a slave girl Sadira - who is a member of the secret society.

After being freed by her new master, Sadira decides to take Agis up on his offer to support The Veiled Alliance in their plot to do away with the King. Sadira was also appointed with the task of recruiting Rikus - a gladiator who has fallen in love with her, to the dismay of Rikus's fighting partner Neeva.

Together they all set off in search for the 'Heartwood Spear' which they have been told is crucial in killing the King. After the initial antagonistic demeanor between the nobleman and gladiator, the group learns to work together and decide to go along with the plan of assassinating the King during the Gladiatorial Games, which the king is throwing in celebration of the completion of his Ziggurat, a stepping stone to his ultimate goal; his transformation into a dragon.

I've always had a soft spot for the Dark Sun novels and was glad to hear that some new ones were written not too long ago after a long hiatus. Re-reading 'The Verdant Passage' reminded me why I was a big fan and I would recommend it to any fan of Dungeons & Dragons. I always had the feeling that the world of Athas never got the respect it deserved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Verdant Passage.

01/17 marked as: currently-reading