Nick's Reviews > Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King

5401911
May 20, 12

Read from May 16 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is Stephen King's third book of short stories, coming after Night Shift and Skeleton Crew. I haven't read Skeleton Crew, but Night Shift is one of my favorite collections of short stories out there and thus I had high expectations for this collection. Unfortunately, this book simply didn't deliver.

That's not to say there weren't some decent shorts in here. Dolan's Cadillac is a wonderful Poesque story about a man driven by the cold desire for revenge. Suffer the Little Children, while short, was a great Body Snatchers style story. And of course there is the Night Flier, which is easily the best story in the collection. But other than these, most of the other stories don't stick, at best. I understand that King likes to experiment with his narratives and try unique or creative story ideas, but stories like Chattery Teeth and You Know They Got a Hell of a Band are just silly. And these stories aren't just silly; most of them are very, very boring. I can forgive a lot of things but boring horror is not one of those things. Home Delivery is a novel approach to a zombie film, but in the end it's a zombie story with almost no zombies in it. The Ten O'Clock People is a shameless knockoff of They Live where nothing much happens until the very end. And My Pretty Pony is little more than an old man telling a young boy about how time seems different when you're older.

Now don't get me wrong; these stories are not poorly written. King is a great writer, after all. But they are simply not up to his usual quality. If you want a book of short King stories, pick up Night Shift. Nightmares and Dreamscapes simply doesn't offer enough to justify a purchase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

05/16/2012 page 325
05/18/2012 page 537
78.0% "Not as good as Night Shift. I've been very passive and bored with most of the stories so far; they've been fairly forgettable at best and straight up silly at worst. I have a little more than 152 pages left to go and I can't wait to get done with it so I can move on to something else. Maybe I'll just put it down and start something else, anyway..."
show 1 hidden update…