Christy Lockstein's Reviews > My Stubborn Heart

My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade

May 16, 2012

My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade is a debut sure to thrill the hearts of Christian romance fans. Kate Donovan has been waiting thirty-one years for the man of her dreams. She's kissed a few frogs, and is trying to hold tightly to the knowledge that God has good in mind for her; she just hopes that part of the good is a husband. After losing her heart for her job as a social worker, she jumps at the chance to renovate the family home of Chapel Bluff in Redbud, Pennsylvania with her quirky grandmother. Matt Jarreau has known more than his share of heartache in his life, and it has caused him to retreat from the world, from his career, family, and friends to work as a small town contractor. His life has been reduced to work, eating alone and watching television to keep him from ever having to hurt or feel again. Kate is immediately drawn to the pain she sees in Matt's eyes, and despite his best intentions, he can't seem to keep away from the charming redhead. Wade has written a romance populated by thoroughly compelling and enjoyable characters. Kate's loving nature makes her reach out to Matt again and again when most would retreat, and when he intentionally pulls away from her, her education allows her to help the reader understand just how deeply hurt he is, making him even more sympathetic. What really makes the book sing is Wade's ability to climb into her characters' heads. When Kate and Matt touch for the first time, Kate's thoughts rush and tumble in her head, and Wade manages to portray that intoxicating fear and joy. She does just as well with Matt who comes across as a real man, not the watered down romanticized version in most romances. Matt's pain and his desire for Kate are very real and almost dangerous at times. His feelings are visceral and the reader can't help but fall in love with this couple and they gently find their way toward each other. I absolutely can't wait until Wade's next book releases; she is definitely a writer to watch!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Stubborn Heart.