Sophia 's Reviews > The Vampire Queen's Servant

The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill

May 16, 12

bookshelves: pnr-uf
Read in May, 2012

Going into the this story, I had reservations whether I would like it or not, but I tried to be open-minded because of how much I enjoyed other people's reviews and the blurbs on the story.

What's my hang-up? Well I'm pretty traditional about which gender should be in the dominant role in a relationship. As it happens, I learned pretty early on that I could rest easy about the book. Yes, the heroine, Elyssa, is the power player as she is not just at the top of the food chain as a vampire, but she is the only pure blood royal left on the planet and she's a thousand years old. And yes, vampires in general and Elyssa in particular are dominant over the humans treating them more as animated sex objects, entertainment, and food. They each take human servants and use/abuse them like it is their right because they are stronger. Now, as a human, I found this vampire attitude pretty amusing since- hello, they NEED their servants because they are VULNERABLE in the day time.
Apparently, I'm not the only one who got a kick out of it because the hero, Jacob also had to keep back his charming Irish smiles on occasion which is what redeemed this role situation for me and allowed me to enjoy what I was reading.

When the story begins, Lady Elyssa is slowly recovering from the loss of her husband and her human servant, she's affected by some sort of illness that leaves her weak and vulnerable when it hits, and now she is confronted by this gorgeous attractive human Jacob Green who claims that her deceased servant trained him as a replacement.

This is an opening story in a series so much of it is spent acquainting me, the reader, to Joey Hill's vampire world through the experiences of Jacob who has some knowledge passed on from Thomas the previous servant and from his own vamp hunting days.
From the get-go, Elyssa senses Jacob's alpha male quality and his strength which means that he would make a poor vampire servant (insert 'slave' or 'sexual submissive' for servant here). And she would be right. Against her first instinct, she gives him a chance. Elyssa decides to break him in quickly and by that I mean break him into the role of sexual submissive through pain and bondage. Jacob surprises her at every turn because just when she thinks she has him strapped down, helpless and humiliated, there he sits calmly watching her after calmly fulfilling the usual serving tasks about the house and for her personal needs. She keeps insisting on trying to break him and he keeps insisting that he can serve honorably without the need for these extreme shows of submissiveness. And as the story progresses, Lyssa ups the ante putting him into situation after situation designed to hurt and humiliate while proving to Jacob what his role really is. Let's just say I got to where I looked forward to these moments because Jacob did not rollover even when forced to submit. He always seemed to find a way. And truthfully, much of the time this is because Elyssa had feelings for her servant that are unique in her vampire world. Elyssa's motives for all this 'training' are not just personal gratification, but also to protect Jacob when they move about in the vampire world

The plot was not fast-paced because it was mostly about Elyssa and Jacob learning each other and the introduction of the story that will continue past the end of the book. Tension in the story was derived from the mental battles these two fought and the tentative beginnings to their new relationship. The story offers foreshadowing to trouble to come from Lyssa's enemies and from the disease that threatens to take her.
I loved how the perspective switched back and forth between Elyssa and Jacob so that we got both of their thoughts throughout the story. As she slowly claimed him with the three 'marks' of servitude, their minds became more closely joined. In fact, the giving of the third mark is a huge deal breaker because of how irrevocable it is (like Jacob dies when Elyssa dies kind of irrevocable).

The characters were fairly limited because of the nature of this story. We have Elyssa and Jacob which are brilliant creations, Carnal (evil vamp- love to hate him), and a few of the vampires in Lyssa's region. There is also the shadowy characters of the past that actually play larger roles than the other secondary characters. Thomas, Elyssa's former servant and her sadistic late (and not lamented by me) husband Rex. I felt something for each character that was introduced which is the best praise that I can offer.

A word of caution here in case it was missed when I spoke of Elyssa trying to break Jacob's willpower. There are some scenes that classify as dark erotica so if that's not your thing be warned.

I look forward to moving on to the next installment in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Queen's Servant.