Mau's Reviews > Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

May 16, 12

Read in May, 2012

I will have to read again, hopefully in its original language or at the very least another translation. Most of the quotes from it are infinitely more magical and gorgeous in English, I could only imagine in German. I'm not sure at all of mine—the feeling that something got lost in the process is dishearteningly large.

Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable read, with much profundity to be found at times. As a story it lacks, and the character of duality as put forth by Harry is obnoxious, though at times relateable. Hermine is fantastic as a counterpart and a "fix" to Harry of sorts—the smart bourgeois! And I loved how Hesse made her a rejection of several strands intellectualism and its sentimentality, though at the same time being wiser than everyone. Good!

I come back to the translation. The climax is unfulfilling, and goes on like an overtly pretentious and confusing monologue, instead of the revealing coming to light that occasionally manages to be seen through. I'm giving it three stars, even though reflecting on it the book certainly merited one more star at times. I have faith in this, I shall revisit it in due time. I have lost faith in the modern Editorial Panapo, such a shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steppenwolf.