Mallory Heart Recommends [#VoteCthulhu Why Choose the Lesser Evil?]'s Reviews > Dead Scared

Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton

May 17, 12

bookshelves: may-2012-reads
Recommended to Mallory Heart Recommends by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Read from May 16 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Any mystery from S J Bolton will be a gem and a treasure and “Dead Scared” is no exception. Here is the return of Detective Constable Lacey Flint, who first graced us in “Now You See Me.” Lacey (of course not her real name) is recovering from an incident some months ago which nearly took the life of Detective Inspector Mark Joesbury, a man who unwittingly holds her heart, as she holds his. Joesbury recruits Lacey to go undercover at Cambridge University, where the suicide rate in the last few years has been unacceptable. Lacey, under yet another assumed name, plays a new undergraduate, discovering patterns among the suicides (horrible dreams, believing that someone enters their rooms while sleeping, claiming rape during their sleep). The methods of suicide are becoming more and more bizarre and violent, leading Joesbury, his superiors, and the head of the counseling clinic at Cambridge (herself a woman being stalked and “gaslighted”) to suspect a subculture of encouragement to suicide, possibly focusing on Internet web sites or chat rooms.

Reading an S. J. Bolton is like settling into a comfortable armchair before a crackling fireplace. The outside world drops away and nothing seems to remain but the story. I became a devoted fan with the very first novel I read and will continue to be one.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Scared.