Karla's Reviews > The Witness

The Witness by Nora Roberts

The Witness
4 ½ Stars!
Very enjoyable read by Nora Roberts. Being a huge fan of her In Death series, which she writes under the pseudonym of J D Robb, I wanted to give her other books a try. I found myself totally absorbed in this compelling and intriguing novel. From the exciting beginning, when Liz becomes a witness to a brutal crime, to her transformation into Abigail, loner and security expert, I was drawn to her character and circumstances. The town where she settles is full of interesting characters that added depth and emotion to the story. She is pursued by the easygoing, relentless police chief Brooks Gleason. He annoys her, but at the same time he unearths feelings in her that she never thought possible. Theirs is a relationship that forms slowly, as Brooks gains Abigail’s trust, then worms and finagles his way into her life. These interactions made for some very humorous moments, as Abigail is almost robotic in personality and Brooks is smooth and charming. The dialogue between the two of them is fantastic and plentiful. The romance that develops is sweet, and at times heated. I found it to be the perfect balance. There is also a secondary storyline that briefly involves Abigail, but Brooks and some of the townspeople are the main focus. The two plots intertwined quite nicely. In my mind I had predicted how the story would end, but the author surprised me with an unexpected twist. It was fitting.

There was one other character who played a major role in the book and I feel is worth a mention, Abigail’s dog Bert. He was as much a part of the story as Brooks and Abigail, and I found myself looking forward to the parts of the book where he was present.

My only issue came in the way of the epilogue. When I read an epilogue, I expect and look forward to an update of the characters and what has become of them and their lives. This epilogue served as just another chapter in the book, updated only hours from the exciting ending. With the turmoil that plagued Abigail’s life, I had hoped to see what the future held for her and Brooks, and I was somewhat disappointed. However I highly recommend this book, not only for fans of Nora Roberts, but for lovers of romantic suspense.

Narration-5 Stars!
I’ve just recently discovered the wonderful world of audio books, but from the few I’ve listened too, I find that some are books are best to be read from the written word, while others can be just as enjoyable, or even more so, when someone reads them to you. The Witness is one of those books. Julia Whelan’s smooth steady narration had me mesmerized, and fully captured my attention. She is a narrator that I will be looking for in my future audio reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict This will be my next audio book purchased...sounds so good!!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I agree with you about epilogues. I like a small peek into the characters furture lives. fabulous review, Karla.

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Karla- Great review, looking forward to this book.

Kristen- KA has us totally spoiled....no other Author can compare to her epilogues!!

Vicki Great review Karla, I really enjoyed this one too! I felt the same about the epilogue, I would have liked a little more.

Karla Dorsey wrote: "This will be my next audio book purchased...sounds so good!!"

You are going to love it Dorsey!!

Karla Kristen wrote: "I agree with you about epilogues. I like a small peek into the characters furture lives. fabulous review, Karla."

Thanks Kristen. I was disappointed, usually an epilogue propels the reader days, even years forward into the lives of the characters...this was just a matter of hours. It should of been labeled as another chapter!

Karla Vicki wrote: "Great review Karla, I really enjoyed this one too! I felt the same about the epilogue, I would have liked a little more."

Thanks Vicki. Boy did I love that Brooks, and Bert too!
After all the trauma that Abigail endured and we as the readers experienced with her, I felt like we deserved a better epilogue.

♡Karlyn P♡ Awesome review Karla!! I listened to it last week, loved it. And i agree about the narration,she was excellent as well.

Karla ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Awesome review Karla!! I listened to it last week, loved it. And i agree about the narration,she was excellent as well."

Thanks KarLynP! I'm listening to Angels Fall right now and I'm really beginning to appreciate Nora Roberts. The narrator is good, but not as good as Julia Whelan.

message 10: by Jenny E (new)

Jenny E I like to listen to Nora Roberts books especially! Great review! I'm going to check my library for this one

Karla Jenny E wrote: "I like to listen to Nora Roberts books especially! Great review! I'm going to check my library for this one"

Thank Jenny. I think certain books hold an appeal when it comes to audio, can you recommend anymore? I'm hooked on this new-to-me format!

Anne OK Super review, Karla! Me, too, on the wish for an epilogue about five years or so on down the road. It would have given us much more satisfaction.

Karla AnneOK wrote: "Super review, Karla! Me, too, on the wish for an epilogue about five years or so on down the road. It would have given us much more satisfaction."

Thanks Anne. I can't tell you how much that epilogue issue annoyed me, it wouldn't have completed the story much better.

message 14: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Nice review Karla ☺

Karla Dee wrote: "Nice review Karla ☺"

Thanks Dee...loved this one!

message 16: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Karla! I'm a big fan of NR. Think I'll try this on audio. Still haven't sunk my teeth into that media.

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict KatLynne wrote: "Great review Karla! I'm a big fan of NR. Think I'll try this on audio. Still haven't sunk my teeth into that media."

Audio books are great KatLynne, I listen to them on my iPod touch at work, doing chores around the house, at the gym etc.......as long as the narriator is good the book will be good (assuming it's a good book). Or if you have a long commute or drive somewhere you can do the Audio CD's.....

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I've not read a NR in a while as she just seemed to rehash the same ole, same ole. But I've heard good things about this one. Great review, Karla!

Karla KatLynne wrote: "Great review Karla! I'm a big fan of NR. Think I'll try this on audio. Still haven't sunk my teeth into that media."

I'm hooked KatLynne, between Lisa Kay and Dorsey's encouragement, I found a new way to enjoy a book. Dorsey's right though, the narrator can make or break the book in that format. Julia Whelan is fantastic! I'm listening to another NR, Angels Fall, and I'm not as pleased with the narration on this book, but it's not bad. I think I'm just comparing her to the fabulous JW, which isn't fair. I'm not far into the story, so my opinion could change!

KarLynP also listens to audio books, so between these 3 lovely ladies, you should be able to find one you will enjoy!

message 20: by Karla (last edited May 25, 2012 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla Jill wrote: "I've not read a NR in a while as she just seemed to rehash the same ole, same ole. But I've heard good things about this one. Great review, Karla!"

Thanks Jill! I've only read one other Nora Roberts, Carolina Moon, and I enjoyed that one too. I'm a huge fan of the In Death series, but I think I'm going to read "outside the box" and give her other books a try...any recs?

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Karla, off the top of my head this is one of my favs series of NR -

The MacKade Brothers: Rafe and Jared The MacKade Brothers  Rafe and Jared (MacKades #1 & 2) by Nora Roberts

The MacKade Brothers: Devin and Shane The MacKade Brothers  Devin and Shane (MacKades #3 & 4) by Nora Roberts

message 22: by Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict (last edited May 25, 2012 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict I really enjoyed audiobook The Search by NR's and one of my all time audiobooks is Falling For Gracie fun book and a GREAT narriator.

Couple of more favs with excellent narriator's After the Night and Kill and Tell by Linda Howard.

Karla Jill wrote: "Karla, off the top of my head this is one of my favs series of NR -

The MacKade Brothers: Rafe and Jared[bookcover:The MacKade Brothers: Rafe and Jared]

The MacKade Brothers: Devin and Shane[boo..."

Thank you Jill, I'm going to be sure to put these on the pile!

Karla Dorsey wrote: "I really enjoyed audiobook The Search by NR's and one of my all time audiobooks is Falling For Gracie fun book and a GREAT narriator.

Couple of more favs with excellent narriator's After the Nig..."

I love Linda Howard and read both of these books...excellent! I wonder what it would be like to have someone read them to you...hmmmm...I might check it out.

I'm definitely going to mark the NR's you rec'd onto my wishlist over a Audible! Thanks Dorsey!

message 25: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Thanks Dorsey and Karla for the audio info! Definitely going to try this media. What a great idea to listen to books as I clean house, cook, etc. And good to know I can download them to my iPod Touch.

I really enjoyed NR's Irish Hearts series, Born Trilogy, Three Sister's and Irish Gallagher's Pub series. Sullivan's Woman and those MacKade Brothers were hits too:)

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict KatLynne wrote: "Thanks Dorsey and Karla for the audio info! Definitely going to try this media. What a great idea to listen to books as I clean house, cook, etc. And good to know I can download them to my iPod Tou..."

You can download the audiable app on your iPod, iPad, or iPhone if you decide become a member. And bonus when I got my Kindle Fire they were automatically installed on it!!

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Karla! GTK you are liking audiobooks and liked this one.

Karla Lisa Kay wrote: "Wonderful review, Karla! GTK you are liking audiobooks and liked this one."

Thanks Lisa Kay! I just started book 1 of the Dresden Files...bought it based on your review...the narrator is absolutely fantastic!!

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Hey Karla I have this on audio too....it will also be my first Nora Roberts book...woohoo.

I have listened to some fabulous audio books where the narrators have been so good you feel bereft when finished....like your missing a friend.

Karla Monique wrote: "Hey Karla I have this on audio too....it will also be my first Nora Roberts book...woohoo.

Rec's please!!! I'm new to the audio world.

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Oh my exciting.....when I get home from work tonight I will have a look through my list....any genre?

Karla Monique wrote: "Oh my exciting.....when I get home from work tonight I will have a look through my list....any genre?"

I'm game for anything!

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)

Karla Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked up a bunch of those $2.57 books, I'm browsing as we speak. Nice little filler books! I'm doing like you said...saving the credits for the expensive books.

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked up a bunch of those $2.57 books, I'm browsing as we speak. N..."

Glad that's working for you...Susan Mallary has one there called "The Unexpected Millionaire" it's actually book 2 in a series but it's really good with an excellent narriator and best it's under $3.00 (the other two in the series are okay..book 1 is good with a good narriator but book 3 I could not get thru because of the narriator which is really too bad.

Karla Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked up a bunch of those $2.57 books, I'm browsing ..."

I bought TUM, but I did not know it was part of a series. I'll have to check it out. Is the first book the Substitute Millionaire? I bought that one too. I was checking yours and KarLynP's ratings.

message 37: by Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict (last edited Jun 08, 2012 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked up a bunch of those $2.57 book..."

The Substitute Mil (1st book), The Unexpected Mil (2nd and my fav!!) than The Ultimate Mil is 3rd (and I could not get thru the narriation on that one however some really liked it).

Also....SM's "Falling for Gracie" had an excellent narriator and was a fun, sweet read.

Karla Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked up a bunch of th..."

Thanks Dorsey!

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "Picked this up today on Audiable (big sale 25% off...unabridged for $9.00 woohoo). Can't wait to get to it ;)"

I picked ..."

Welcome ;)

Crista Oh Karla...this one was sooo good! Great review!

Karla Crista wrote: "Oh Karla...this one was sooo good! Great review!"

Thanks Crista! It was really good and I loved that Brooks!

Splage I loved Bert too and completely agree there needed a farther in the future epilogue. Thanks so much for the loan, Karla!

Karla Splage wrote: "I loved Bert too and completely agree there needed a farther in the future epilogue. Thanks so much for the loan, Karla!"

Glad you liked it Splage!!

Duchess Nicole Just reading through your bookshelves for this one is like getting a full review, lol!! Good to hear that you liked it! I just started it.

Karla Duchess Nicole wrote: "Just reading through your bookshelves for this one is like getting a full review, lol!! Good to hear that you liked it! I just started it."

Enjoy Nicole, I haven't read many of Nora Roberts books, but I found this to be one of her better ones.

message 46: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review,Karla!!:)

Karla Dd wrote: "Great review,Karla!!:)"

Thanks Dd!

message 48: by Louise (new)

Louise Great review Karla!:)

Karla Louise wrote: "Great review Karla!:)"

Thank you Louise. It's a wonderful book!