J.C. Phillipps's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

May 16, 12

Read in May, 2012

What a great book. I don't know if I was just in the mood for this or what - but right off the bat I was totally engrossed. Sometimes I get engrossed on page 50 of a book. Sometimes page 74. But this book had me by the end of page 1.

Here's something you should know about this book - it's heavy. And I don't mean it's surreal or super intellectual or anything. I mean it actually, literally weighs more than a regular book this size. You see there are illustrations by Maira Kalman in the book and so they used nice paper. Really nice, weighty paper for everything. You can get a nice workout lugging this book around.

What's it about? I'll tell you. The book is a letter that Min writes to Ed. Min loves movies, coffee, thrift stores, and fancy foods. Ed is the star of the basketball team. They flirt at a party, start to date, and it's fireworks from there. But this is a doomed relationship, read the title of the book. Min is returning all her "treasures" that she kept from the romance (thus the illustrations,) and with it she writes this letter to Ed to explain everything she was feeling, everything that Ed meant to her, and ultimately the reasons they broke up.

It was fabulous. I loved it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.