VaultOfBooks's Reviews > Silver Knight

Silver Knight by Caron Rider

May 16, 12

Silver Knight is my first ARC copy, and I’m really happy that I’ve been given the chance to read and review it by Shriya, because I liked the book!
A Struggle Against Evil
Love Through the Ages
A Destiny to Fulfil
When seventeen-year-old Diana recognizes an elderly priest in a video on Youtube, she realizes that reincarnation is real and that she’s been alive before! Every night in her dreams, she views her past lives learning that it’s kill or be killed.

Now a bishop at Vatican whom she saved in another life calls on her once more. She is needed to help defeat an infestation of demons living in the Catacombs of Rome. Warned by their foul smell and armed by her dreams, Diana is a warrior who must battle the Dark in order for the Light to prevail.
But when she arrives in Rome, she meets Alexander – the man of her dreams! Through the centuries she has loved him… betrayed him… been killed by him. Will she give him another chance or this time will she strike first?
The story of this book begins in a perfectly ordinary way. Diana, the protagonist of the story, has been elected as the book club president, which consists of very few students including her best friends, Sam and Maggie. She seems to be perfectly normal, just with one problem – she suffers from nightmares and they are always about her dying.
She doesn’t understand what these dreams mean till she sees a video on Youtube about a priest and she realises that she recognises him from one of her dreams and decides to contact him… and she is surprised when the priest, i.e. Bishop Paul Soratino, tells her that there is an infestation of demons in the Catacombs of Rome.
After talking to the bishop, Diana starts to understand the meaning of the dreams she has been having since childhood. She understands that she’s the warrior of the Light who has been destined to defeat the Dark, the demons of the Dark who live on other people’s soul, who come in all types of shapes and sizes and who can only be defeated using weapons made out of silver. Diana has died many a time in history while killing a demon or is killed by her nemesis, Alexander. Alexander is the one whom she loved, and in many lives had even been married to him. But he is a demon and he believes that Diana betrayed him and hence he, instead of sucking her soul and freeing her, keeps killing her, sometimes so brutally that she keeps getting reincarnated.
Diana decides to go to Rome to deal with the demons there and she’s accompanied by fellow warriors, Jarret, Helen, David, Solomon and also Sam and Maggie. But soon, in Rome, She meets Alex Black, who’s no one else but Alexander. However, this time, she is in for a surprise. Alex doesn’t wish to kill her now because of something that happened in one of Diana’s previous life on the Titanic. Unfortunately, Diana can’t remember the details, except the fact she died on the Titanic. What must have happened to change Alex’s heart?
Personally, this was that type of story which I’ve never read before. I’ve read about magicians, witchcraft, monsters, vampires, and everything else – but never in such a combination. Throw in reincarnation and you have the equivalent of a delicious dessert in your hands. All the warriors I mentioned above have been related to the history we know (though vaguely), like, Alexander was once Alexander the Great, Helen was Helen of Troy, and so on!
But though that was good, what I didn’t like was the jumping of the story from present to past in a single chapter, which often broke my rhythm and would confuse the average reader. As another reader on Amazon pointed out, each chapter has AT LEAST three dreams/flashbacks. Had different chapters been used for different periods of time, it would have been easier to keep track. Despite that, I can’t wait for the sequel! Write faster, Miss Rider!

Posted by: http://the-vault.co.cc

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Knight.