Mickey's Reviews > A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and Mental Illness

A First-Rate Madness by S. Nassir Ghaemi

Jun 14, 12

Read from May 16 to June 05, 2012

This book advances the theory that our best leaders in crisis situations are often mentally ill and also that their mental illness helps them meet the unique challenges inherent in crisis situations.

I enjoyed that short biographies of the leaders. I thought that Ghaemi did a good job of stating his case for the diagnosis of each. I wish he did not find it necessary to be so explicit in his intent. Sometimes the structure was too exposed and I felt like I was reading high school essays again. I thought it was also a little too self-conscious to point out when he did something that had never been attempted before with a subject.

The overall structure fit in with his thesis. It was arranged according to characteristics that he's claiming were heightened by the mental illness. Every section started with a chapter about the characteristic and any studies done, which I thought was fascinating. It then followed with a section on the leaders that could be said to have this illness/identifying characteristic.

The section on the mentally healthy leaders was amazing and the analysis on the failures of the mentally healthy minds to cope with the crisis was an interesting take.

This book is definitely worth reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A First-Rate Madness.

06/02/2012 page 107