Ren's Reviews > The Burn Journals

The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, mind-blowing, i-cried, must-reread
Recommended to Ren by: My eighth grade teacher.
Recommended for: Teens, people going through depression, adults.
I own a copy

This book was one of the major works I read as a young teenager of the 8th grade. I remember how disgustingly real and raw this story was, portraying the tale of a depressed young man who lit his flesh on fire and survived. Being clinically depressed at this age--something that would continue on until the beginning of my sophomore year of highschool--I was extremely attracted to this book. It wasn't so much the book as it was the character, who seemed so close to me because I could understand why he thought the way he did, because my thinking pattern was the same. The description of his burnt flesh, etched in deep detail, sickened me and made me want to throw up several times; my mom who had glanced at this book once through DID throw up when she stumbled upon one of the more gorey detailed scenes. The fact that the man who had walked within the pages was real made me fall that much deeper into the story. It was an amazing story, and while it is not for the week stomach, it certainly did make the wheels in my head begin to turn.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burn Journals.