Emily J's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

Jul 03, 12

Read in July, 2012

It could have been the mood I was in when reading this book, but I didn't find it all that appealing to me.

I liked Tavi, and I liked his family. I found myself drawn in by the steadholts and the interesting magic system of the furies. It was a setting that captured my interest. And Tavi was a great character - sweet, brave - stumbling through the entire book as an accidental hero.

However, I couldn't quite make myself care about anyone else. The book starts with Amara, and maybe it was her half of the world, maybe it was the way she was written, i don't know, but I couldn't like her. She just didn't interest me as much as the people back at Bernardholt. The villains were the kind that made my stomach churn - no charisma at all - and they were highly irritating to read about.

After a while I found myself skipping chapters and skimming parts to read Tavi and Bernard's parts of the story, because i just didn't have the patience to read about Fidelius or Amara (unless they were interacting with one of the others).

All in all, I may give it a second reading at some point in the future, but for now i'm pretty luke-warm about it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.