Evie's Reviews > Stealing Parker

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Oct 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-contemporary, contemporary, october-2012, wish-list, sourcebooks-fire
Read in October, 2012

A charming, intelligent and emotionally rich story, Stealing Parker is even better than Miranda Kenneally's previous novel, Catching Jordan. It's possibly the best thing that happened to fans of YA contemporary romance this year. One incredibly sweet, devilishly hot, sometimes even totally inappropriate (but absolutely delicious) book that is sure to disarm even the toughest and pickiest of readers!

Parker used to lead a charmed life. She was one of the best players on the high school softball team, she had friends, popularity, beauty and a perfect family. And everything was going smooth for her, until her mother ran away with another woman and Parker's perfect life crumbled to pieces. Her best friend stabbed her in the back, people stopped talking to her and she became a social pariah, "a butch softball player who probably likes girls". To Parker, it seemed that even God has turned his back on her and her family. Hurt, confused and angry, she quit softball team and lost 20 pounds. To prove that she was not like her mother, she took extra care to look as girly and cute as possible and started hooking up with different boys every night (just kissing, tho!). And then a new hot guy showed up in town and everything quickly spun out of control. Now, the reputation that Parker created for herself and all the bad choices she made along the way are threatening to destroy everything she cares about: her relationship with her father, her friendship with Drew, being the valedictorian, and - most importantly - the love she so desperately needs.

In many ways, Stealing Parker is similar to Catching Jordan. Once again we get a group of characters that defy the romantic stereotypes and a lead heroine that is feisty, witty, bold and impossible not to adore. And once again the plot involves sport (in this case, baseball), a complicated love triangle, and a whole lot of sparkly and highly amusing back-and-forth between the characters. What makes Stealing Parker even more appealing than Catching Jordan is its intensity and maturity. This book touches on some difficult and important areas such as homosexuality, religion and teacher-student relationships. Kenneally wrote a romantic story that is so much more than just that, a novel that explores many themes - from friendship, first love, trust, acceptance, forgiveness to sexuality, bigotry, addiction and rejection. And she did it in the utmost graceful, convincing and emotionally affecting way. I quickly found myself entirely engrossed in the story, in love with the characters, and unable to put the book down.

Keneally's writing style is right up my alley. Her prose is honest, very natural and fresh. It's infused with real emotions. At times you feel like a puppet and Miranda Kenneally is the puppet master - she'll make you laugh out loud and clap in excitement and then merely 2 pages later you'll be tearing up and sobbing quietly. And she'll also make you think about all the issues she brings to life in her book. Reading Stealing Parker is an all-around wonderful experience. There's not a single person I wouldn't recommend this book to.

And one last thing I just have to mention: Corndog (Will) is so adorable! I loved the chemistry between all the characters - it was charged and intense - but I definitely loved the sweet, tender, shy and innocent chemistry between Corndog and Parker the most! And I couldn't stop laughing each time Parker's dad would mess up Corndog's nickname and change it to Corn Fritter!

Don't hesitate to pick this book up. It's an incredibly well-written, beautiful story that balances romance, drama and comedy perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing Parker.