Scott's Reviews > The Truth about Stories

The Truth about Stories by Thomas King

May 16, 12

bookshelves: canadian, indigenous-studies, essays
Read in December, 2010

This should be required reading for all Canadians (and Americans, too). In this collection of essays you'll find the fundamental ideas of post-colonial theory as it relates to the indigenous peoples of Canada and America.

The basic idea of the book is that we are only the stories we tell about ourselves; and sometimes we are the stories that other people tell about us. King demonstrates how colonial culture has told stories (and continues to tell stories) about native peoples of North America, and the harmful effects they've had (and continue to have) on those cultures. Of course the message is also that there is hope, and indigenous cultures have come to a place (after colonization) where they can begin to tell their own stories again (to contemperary North American society as a whole). However, first all North Americans (no matter what your skin colour) must acknowledge these stories that have been told for what they are.

And King is such a great writer / speaker. Everyone should read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth about Stories.