Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

5112089
It was nice to be back with Sookie and her crew again. I can sorta see where all the negative reviews are coming from- it certainly wasn't the best book in the series by any stretch- but I still have a soft spot for Sookie in all her haughty, southern glory, as well as her mismatched gang of friends.

Usually, these books have a mystery that leads to some kind of cataclysmic event. And you can usually say, "Oh, that's the one with the torture scene", or "Ah, you mean the one where Eric forgets", or "Yay, the one where Bill gets kidnapped"...that kind of thing. This book doesn't really have a tag line like that you can apply to it. There is a gentle mystery element to the plot, but whereas usually Sookie is like a little terrier chasing down clues, she didn't really do that this time. In fact, she seems to be feeling a little confused at the moment and it's affecting her behaviour. I think she knows she's on the precipice of having to make some big life decisions, and she looks around and sees other people happy and in love and having babies and it's making her realise that she is not as happy as she should be.

"I so seldom had to dispose of a human body myself, I was at a loss. Fairies turned into dust, and vampires flaked away. Demons had to be burned. Humans were very troublesome."

We also got to go around and catch up with practically every major character in the series, and also got brief updates on the more minor ones. And there are a lot of characters and it's a pretty diverse bunch so that was nice.

Overall, it definitely has a feeling of wrapping things up about it. Or maybe it's just a feeling of the calm before the storm. But, either way, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be from some of the reviews I'd seen. And, as always, my enjoyment was helped enormously by the narrating talents of Johanna Parker, who did an amazing job with the huge cast she had to contend with.

I am looking forward to the final release, Dead Ever After, out in early 2013.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom You nailed it girl !